The Division of Public School Capital Construction’s main function is to manage the Building Excellent Schools Today (BEST) competitive public school capital construction grant program throughout the State of Colorado. Our staff provides support to the Public School Capital Construction Assistance Board (CCAB) and provides support and technical expertise to public school districts, charter schools, institute charter schools, boards of cooperative educational services and the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind. The Division staff also maintains the Charter School and Institute Charter School Capital Construction grant program, as well as the Statewide Facility Assessement.
Address: 1580 Logan Street, Denver, CO 80203
Room Number(s): 310
Unit Supervisor: Scott Newell (Unit Director)
Administrative Lead: Scott Newell
Lead Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Phone Number: 303-866-6717
- Conduct site visits to identify potential grant opportunities and to assess progress on awarded grant projects
- Provide webinars for many facets of a school construction project
- Create a yearly BEST grant application and provide detailed information on the BEST grant application process
- Develop matching percentages for all school districts, charter schools, institute charter schools, boards of cooperative educational services and the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind
- Review submitted grant applications for completeness and appropriateness of the budget
- Assist with consultant and vendor selection for grantees
- Process and review pay requests from grantees
- Assist with project closeout and warranty work
- Facilitate monthly board meetings for the Capital Construction Assistance Board
- Prepare a yearly legislative report due to house and senate education and finance committees regarding the BEST Program
- Prepare a yearly legislative report due to the House, Senate and JBC for charter school capital construction needs
- Maintain the Charter School Capital Construction grant program, which provides $7 million annually to public charter schools throughout the State
- Prepare, distribute and collect a yearly questionnaire form required for all charter schools
- Yearly presentations at several conferences and seminars
- Update the State, School District and Individual School statewide facility assessment reports annually
- Green Ribbon Schools - this is a federal program that recognizes individual schools in each state that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs; improving the health and wellness of students and staff; and providing effective environmental and sustainability education, which incorporates STEM, civic skills and green career pathways.
- Greening Government - we are part of the statewide Greening Government initiative for CDE. The daily activities of state government have a significant impact on the quality of Colorado’s public health and environment, and use of its natural resources. That’s why, in April 2007, Governor Bill Ritter, Jr., signed the Greening of State Government Executive Orders D011 07 and D012 07.
- Department of Local Affairs (DOLA) Energy and Mineral Impact Grant – DOLA provides grants for planning, construction, and maintenance of public facilities that are socially or economically impacted by the development, processing, or energy conversion of minerals and mineral fuels.
- US Green Building Council (USGBC) Green Schools Initiative and Advocacy – This is a local committee that supports and advocates for high-performing, green schools. The BEST staff participate on this committee.