Adult Education Initiatives administers the federally-funded adult education grant program in Colorado as authorized by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) under Title II of the Workforce Investment Act, and the Adult Workforce Partnership Program established by the Colorado Adult Education and Literacy Act of 2014.
Address: 201 E. Colfax Ave., Denver CO 80203
Room Number(s): 300
Unit Supervisor: Tricia Johnson
Administrative Lead: Matthew Sweeney
Lead Email Address: email@example.com
Lead Phone Number: 303.866.6865
- Administer the federal grant program for adult basic education services in Colorado
- Administer the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
- Transition to and administer the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Administer the English Literacy and Civics Education grant program (EL/Civics) under WIA, providing services to immigrant and other limited English proficient adults
- Transition to and administer the Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education grant program (IEL/Civics) under WIOA, providing integrated English Literacy and Civics Education to immigrant and other limited English proficient adults
- Monitor and evaluate adult basic education programs for compliance and quality
- Provide professional development and technical assistance to AEFLA-funded local providers of adult basic education services
- Collect and report data on Colorado's adult basic education services and outcomes
- Collaborate with Educator Licensing and Colorado Community Colleges to administer the credential for teachers of ABE, ASE, and Adult ESL (Authorization in Adult Basic Education (ABEA))
Regional Assessment Training
A new model for the Regional Assessment Training (RAT) has been adopted. RAT now comprises three components: Pre-Training Webinar, Training, and Post-Training Local Activity. RAT will be held in August and September 2014 for AEFLA- and EL/Civics-funded adult education programs.
Making the Shift to Standards Based Instruction
CDE/AEFL adopted the College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS) for Adult Education in FY2014. The integration of standards based instruction into adult education programs is a multi-year, multi-phase project.