The Adult Education and Family Literacy Office (AEFL) administers the federally-funded adult education grant program in Colorado, as authorized by the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) under Title II of the Workforce Investment Act.
Address: 201 E. Colfax Ave., Denver CO 80203
Room Number(s): 300
Unit Supervisor: Margaret Kirkpatrick
Administrative Lead: Jean McDonald
Lead Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lead Phone Number: 303-866-6884
- Administer the federal grant program for adult basic education services in Colorado
- Administer the EL/Civics grant program (integrated English literacy and civics education services to immigrant and limited English proficient adults)
- Monitor and evaluate adult basic education programs for compliance and quality
- Provide professional development and technical assistance to AEFLA-funded local providers of adult basic education services
- Collect and report data on Colorado's adult basic education services and outcomes
- Collaborate with Educator Licensing and Colorado Community Colleges to adminster the credential for teachers of ABE, ASE, and Adult ESL (Authorization in Adult Basic Education (ABEA))
AEFLA Request for Proposals FY2015-FY2016
The Colorado Department of Education, Office of Adult Education and Family Literacy (CDE/AEFL) is soliciting applications from eligible providers to develop, implement and improve adult education and literacy activities in Colorado.
Making the Shifts...2014 and Beyond
Making the Shifts is a professional development opportunity for Colorado’s ABE/ASE teachers in preparation for the new GED® Tests to be released in January 2014. This is an extended, multi-session professional development initiative using a cohort model.
Adult Basic Education Training and Learning Center is the new professional development and assessment training resource center for Colorado's AEFLA funded programs.
Making the Shift to Standards Based Instruction
CDE/AEFL adopted the College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS) for Adult Education in FY2014. The integration of standards based instruction into adult education programs is a multi-year, multi-phase project.