School Food Authorities (SFAs) are encouraged to apply for grant funding to support program innovation, expand access to meals and improve program quality. Current funding opportunities are listed below.
The CDE School Nutrition Unit will competitively award U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service Equipment Assistance Grants to eligible school food authorities (SFAs) participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP).These funds will allow SFAs to purchase new equipment, replace old equipment or renovate existing equipment to:
- Serve healthier school meals, that meet the meal patterns, with emphasis on more fruits and vegetables.
- Improve food safety.
- Expand access and participation in the NSLP or School Breakfast Program.
The Equipment Grant Application for 2018-19 is now open.
Application & Deadlines:
Grant Application due February 13th, 2019
SFA's will submit their application online via Survey Monkey.
Please note: For SFAs that wish to purchase equipment for use in a central kitchen, the SFA should use the FRL% for students served from this kitchen (this may be the entire district or a group of schools). For the Smarter Lunchrooms Scorecard, the SFA may submit a scorecard for one school site from each grade group served. If there are overlapping grade groups, please only submit a scorecard for the k-5, 6-8, and 9-12 grade groups. Questions? E-mail Megan Johnson or call her at 303-866-5983.
Team Nutrition Training Grants help to support the implementation of all USDA Child Nutrition Programs. They offer funding to state agencies to help improve children's lifelong eating and physical activity habits. Grant applications generally become available in April. Team Nutrition Grants provide:
- Training and technical assistance to school nutrition food service professionals to enable them to prepare and serve nutritious meals that appeal to students.
- Fun and interactive nutrition education for children, teachers, parents and other caregivers.
- Opportunities to build school and community support for creating healthy school environments that are conducive to healthy eating and physical activity.
USDA Team Nutrition Resources
- USDA Team Nutrition Home Page
- MyPlate eBooks
- Join the Team
- Training Grants
- Resource Library
- Graphics Library
For more information, please contact Carrie Thielen or call 303-866-6759.