Team Nutrition Regional Trainings
Take Action! Review, Update and Strengthen Your Local Wellness Policy
The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Office of School Nutrition (OSN) and the Colorado Education Initiative (CEI) will offer four regional trainings aimed at increasing districts’ ability to update local wellness policy to address best practices in school health and determine strategies to assess and implement policy.
Participants will learn:
- The importance of local wellness policies
- Federal and state legislation related to school health, social/emotional wellness and competitive foods
- How district policy works
- How to analyze local wellness policy language and identify needed updates
- How to engage partners
- Implementation strategies to include Healthier US School Challenge, Smarter Lunchrooms and Smart Snacks in Schools rules
Training dates and locations:
- March 10, 2015: La Junta
- La Junta Intermediate School - Resource Room, 901 Smithland Ave., La Junta, CO 81050
- March 24, 2015: Fort Morgan
- Morgan County School District, Board Room, 715 W. Platte Ave., Fort Morgan, CO 80701
- April 23, 2015: Denver
- The Curtis Denver, 1405 Curtis Street, Denver, CO 80202
- April 29, 2015: Montrose
- Montrose County RE-1J District Boardroom, 930 Colorado Ave, Montrose, CO 81401
- Trainings will start at 8:30 am and end at 3:30 pm. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Who Should Attend: Wellness team members that will participate or have participated in a wellness policy review and/or revision/update. This could be a wellness coordinator, nutritional services director/manager, superintendent or designated administrator, school board member, teacher, parent, student, community partner, public health employee, etc.
- Required Materials: Please locate and bring your most current school district (or school level if applicable) Wellness Policy (ADF Document). Please bring enough copies for everyone from your organization who is attending.
- Continuing Education Units (CEU) hours will be available.
- Please register for the training at:https://cde.cnpus.com/codoe/splash.aspx
- Registration Instructions (including non-sponsors that do not have access to the claim system)
- Sponsor IDs (for those sponsors that have access to the claim system)
- Contact Amanda Mercer at 303-866-6659, if you have any questions or concerns.
Team Nutrition Training Grants
Team Nutrition Training Grants help to support the implementation of all of USDA's Child Nutrition Programs. They offer funding to state agencies to help improve children's lifelong eating and physical activit habits. Grant applications generally become available in April.
Team Nutrition Training Grants provide:
- Training and technical assistance to school nutrition food service professionals to enable them to prepare and serve nutritious meals that appeal to students.
- Fun and interactive nutrition education for children, teachers, parents and other caregivers.
- Opportunities to build school and community support for creating healthy school environments that are conducive to healthy eating and physical activity.
For further information regarding Colorado Team Nutrition Training Grants, please contact: