HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms is open to all schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. We recognize that changing the school nutrition environment takes time and celebrate both the gradual changes and big successes of schools working diligently to help children eat more healthfully and be more physically active.
Schools can submit an application at any time during the year for a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Gold of Distinction level award.
Schools may submit applications for the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms by US mail or online. Recipients of the Alliance for a Healthier Generations Healthy Schools Program National Recognition Award may also be eligible for a streamlined application process.
Congratulations to Aurora Public Schools!
The USDA and CDE Office of School Nutrition commend the Aurora Public Schools, for their efforts in improving student health and wellness by meeting the rigorous HUSSC: SL criteria. HUSSC: SL schools play a vital role in promoting student wellness, which is a leading contributor to student achievement. As an acknowledgement of this achievement, each of the schools listed above will receive a HUSSC: SL award plaque, banner and monetary award. These schools will also soon be added to the HUSSC: SL awardees list at USDA Team Nutrition HUSSC: SL.
- Clyde Miller Elementary School
- Iowa Elementary School
- Kenton Elementary School
- Laredo Elementary School
- Montview Elementary School
- Paris Elementary School
- Tollgate Elementary School
- Arkansas Elementary School
- Boston K-8 Elementary School
- Crawford Elementary School
- Elkhart Elementary School
- Park Lane Elementary School
- Peoria Elementary School
- Sable Elementary School
- Side Creek Elementary School
- Vassar Elementary School
- Application Guidance (USDA)
- Sample Application with Instructions (Action for Healthy Kids)
- Criteria (USDA)
- Checklists (Use these checklists to determine if your school is ready to apply)
- Monetary Incentives Memo (TA 04-2010) (USDA)
- Use your Wellness Team to Help Complete the Application (Action for Healthy Kids)
- Award Winning Schools in Colorado
- Tips from Award Winners (USDA)
- Farm to School (USDA)
- US Food Waste Challenge (USDA)
- Smart Snacks and Competitive Foods (CDE Office of School Nutrition)
- Smarter Lunchrooms Movement (CDE Office of School Nutrition)
Webinars, Tip Sheets and PowerPoint (PPT) Presentations
- Note: To apply for a HUSSC award, each school must first join Team Nutrition
For more information, please contact Kristi Rolfsen or call 303-866-5985.