HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms is open to all schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. We recognize that changing the school nutrition environment takes time and celebrate both the gradual changes and big successes of schools working diligently to help children eat more healthfully and be more physically active.
Schools can submit an application at any time during the year for a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Gold of Distinction level award.
Schools may submit applications for the HealthierUS School Challenge: Smarter Lunchrooms by US mail or online. Recipients of the Alliance for a Healthier Generations Healthy Schools Program National Recognition Award may also be eligible for a streamlined application process.
- Application Guidance (USDA)
- Sample Application with Instructions (Action for Healthy Kids)
- Criteria (USDA)
- Checklists (Use these checklists to determine if your school is ready to apply)
- Monetary Incentives Memo (TA 04-2010) (USDA)
- Use your Wellness Team to Help Complete the Application (Action for Healthy Kids)
- Award Winning Schools in Colorado
- Tips from Award Winners (USDA)
- Farm to School (USDA)
- US Food Waste Challenge (USDA)
- Smart Snacks and Competitive Foods (CDE OSN)
- Smarter Lunchrooms Movement (CDE OSN)
Webinars, Tip Sheets and PowerPoint (PPT) Presentations
- Note: To apply for a HUSSC award, each school must first join Team Nutrition
For additional information: