July 24, 2017
State adds more dates for educator shortage plan town hall series
District employees, parents, students and concerned community members are strongly encouraged to attend a town hall meeting in their area. The departments have also released online surveys in English and Spanish for those who cannot attend in person.
“To draft an effective action plan, it is critical we hear voices from every region of the state,” said Dr. Kim Hunter Reed, executive director of DHE. “Educators make all other professions possible, and we must to do all we can to lift the profession and retain top talent in the classroom.”
The meetings are part of an extended outreach effort as DHE and CDE begin to implement House Bill 17-1003, signed by Gov. John Hickenlooper in May. The bill requires the departments to develop a joint action plan for recruiting and retaining high-quality teachers.
“Our school districts work very hard to ensure that every classroom has a quality teacher,” said Katy Anthes, Colorado’s education commissioner. “But as a state we need to do more to help those districts attract and retain teachers. We need everyone at the table to help come up with a solution.”
During the town hall meetings, participants review existing research and discuss the perception of education careers, compensation and other factors contributing to the shortage. The first two meetings took place in Ridgway and Parachute last month.
- Check out the state's action plan webpage.
- Take the survey about the state's ongoing action plan.
- The survey is also available in Spanish.
Educator Shortage Action Plan Town Hall Series
- Friday, July 28 from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Colorado State University, Behavioral Sciences Building Room A101, Fort Collins, CO 80523
- Monday, July 31 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Cherry Creek School District Instructional Support Facility, 5416 S. Riviera Way, Centennial, CO 80015
- Tuesday, Aug. 1 from 2-4:30 p.m. at Mile High United Way CoBank Leadership Center, 711 Park Ave. West, Denver, CO 80205
- Wednesday, Aug. 2 from 3-4:30 p.m. at Colorado Mountain College – Leadville Campus, 901 U.S. 24, Leadville, CO 80461
- Monday, Aug. 7 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at University of Colorado Colorado Springs, Centennial Hall Auditorium, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
- Thursday, Aug. 10 from 2:30-4 p.m. at Otis High School, 518 Dungan St., Otis, CO 80743
- Monday, Aug. 14 from 3-4:30 p.m. at Ignacio High School, 315 Ignacio Street, Ignacio, CO 81137
- Friday, Aug. 18 from 1-2:30 p.m. at East Central BOCES Office, 820 Second St., Limon, CO 80828
- Monday, Aug. 23 from 4:30-6 p.m. at Las Animas Elementary School, 300 Grove Ave., Las Animas, CO 81054
- Wednesday, Aug. 30 from 4:30-6 p.m. at Vilas Schools, 202 North Collingwood Ave., Vilas, CO 81087
- Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 5-6:30 p.m. at Monte Vista High School, 295 E Prospect Ave., Monte Vista, CO 81144
For more information, contact: