Implementing Trauma Informed Approaches in Schools
August 10th, 8:30-4pm at CU Anschutz Campus (exact location will be sent to attendees after registration).
This training will provide school building-level teams the knowledge and tools they will need to understand the impact of psychological trauma on students. Please review this Save the Date flyer. Follow this link for more information and to register.
Who Should Participate:
- School-level teams whose role it is to prioritize, develop, implement, and evaluate Tier 1 behavioral systems. District level teams who support this work in the schools may also participate. The training structure assumes participants are coming in teams. A minimum of 3 members from the team is strongly encouraged.
Content to be Covered:
- Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) Framework and components as they relate critical features of Tier 1 Behavior Systems.
- Knowledge and understanding about trauma and toxic stress and its impact on learning and the learning environment
- Prevention practices and strategies that support all learners including at-risk students and students with disabilities.
- System considerations and effective implementation practices at the Tier 1 level to ensure buy-in, integration, and commitment of trauma informed approaches within a layered continuum of supports.
- Introduction to Trauma Responsive Schools Self-Assessment, Action planning guidance, and implementation timeframes
- Teams will have dedicated time to engage in team activities throughout the training.
2018-19 PBIS within an MTSS Framework Training Series
What is it?
The Office of Learning Supports at the Colorado Department of Education is pleased to announce a year-long training series for District-level Coaches and their accompanying school-based leadership teams. Using a new training model, our goal is to continue scaling up and rejuvenating Colorado PBIS!
Who is it for?
District-level Coaches and their accompanying school-based leadership teams. A District-level Coach is someone who has dedicated FTE to coaching schools with the implementation and sustainability of universal/schoolwide social/emotional/behavioral efforts. This person may or may not be based within a school. A school-based leadership team is a team whose mission it is to prioritize, develop, and implement evidence-based practices to improve the school culture and climate.
When is it?
2018-19 School Year
District-level Coaches will:
- Receive ongoing technical assistance and support from the CDE Office of Learning Supports staff through:
- 5 face-to-face contact points, such as workshops, site visits, and regional coaching meetings
- Ongoing correspondence and communication
- Network with other district-level coaches across the state
- Enhance skills in the area of technical assistance and coaching
- Have access to training materials and resources
- Identify a few number of school teams to receive 4 days of training throughout the year
School-based Leadership Teams will:
- Receive 4 high-quality days of training of PBIS within an MTSS Framework, including Tier 1 and problem solving across the tiers.
- Have ongoing support from their coach
Readiness Documents and Materials
- 2018/19 CDE, Coaches, and School Commitment Form
- 2018/19 School Readiness Form
- 2018/19 Outline of Dates
To participate in the Training Series, please complete the Commitment Survey here by June 1. Do not complete the Commitment Survey unless you have listened to the recorded webinar. We will contact coaches after June 1 and make final decisions by June 18th.
What have attendees said about our 2017/18 Training Series?
"The school-level PBIS training sessions provided strategic insights, excellent networking, and effective team-building times throughout the year. I now feel better equipped to coach teachers and administrators in system-wide implementation."
Matt Hughes, Implementation Coach, Thompson School District
"[The series] allowed us to get all staff members on the same page as we have brand new staff and people that have been here for many years. We were able to identify what is already in place and what needs to be done this next year as we move forward. The surveys allowed us to see what our staff’s highest priorities that are not currently in place, giving us the road map for our...Action Plan. We would highly recommend this training to other schools no matter where you are in your PBIS journey. Jason and Lynne can provide the support and information you need. The chance to collaborate with other schools and share ideas was also very beneficial and a rare opportunity!"
Valerie Zell, Intervention Coordinator, Poudre School District
"Through this year of training, we have seen positive outcomes and know that full implementation will bring a shift in mindset to our school. PBIS within MTSS is providing us the framework to focus on positive behaviors while managing the unwanted behaviors. It also gives us the platform to set clear expectations for students and staff. Using data, we will monitor our implementation process and be able to ensure we are implementing with fidelity."
Elizabeth Riggleman, Counselor, Wray High School
"The PBIS within an MTSS Framework yearlong training was an opportunity for schools to systematically establish or reinvigorate the essential elements of PBIS. District coaches were given the tools to support their schools with separate days to prepare beforehand and schools were given ample time to work in their teams to dig into their data and plan accordingly. For any school that is looking to strengthen or launch PBIS, and dedicated to committing to team-driven shared leadership-this series is well worth the time."
Camille Rossi, MTSS Community Partner, Aurora Public Schools
Previous Trainings and Content
- Classroom PBIS Resource
- Supplemental Packet Day 1 and 2
- PowerPoint Day 1
- Classroom Management Powerpoint (Day 1)
- PowerPoint Day 2
- CICO Handbook Example
- Day 1 slides (pdf)
- Day 1 supplemental packet (pdf)
- Day 2 slides (pdf)
- Day 2 supplemental packet (pdf)
PBIS within MTSS Universal/Tier 1 Trainings, 2017-18:
- Day 1 PowerPoint: Full-page
- Day 1 Supplemental packet (Word form)
- Day 2 PowerPoint: Full-page
- Day 2 Supplemental packet (Word form)
- Day 3 PowerPoint: Full-page
- Day 3 Supplemental packet (Word form)
- Day 4 Powerpoint: Full-page
- Day 4 Supplemental Packet (Word form)
Tier 2 Training on June 29, 2017: