Listening tour adds webinar, stop in Limon to gather broad-based feedback on ESSA law for Colorado
State education officials have added a new stop and an online opportunity to their listening tour designed to gather broad-based public input on how Colorado could implement key areas of the nation’s new federal education law, the Every Student Succeeds Act.
ESSA, signed into law in December, is a bipartisan measure that reauthorizes the 50-year-old Elementary and Secondary Education Act. The new law builds on key areas of the ongoing efforts to improve educational opportunities for all students and gives states including Colorado more authority in charting their own courses.
The May listening tour now includes a meeting in Limon, joining stops in Pueblo, Grand Junction, Durango, Greeley, Buena Vista and Thornton. Also, a webinar broadcast from Denver has been added for those unable to attend a meeting. Additional meetings may be added throughout the state’s process.
“The meetings this spring are just the department’s first step toward complying with ESSA,” said Education Commissioner Rich Crandall. “After we get this initial input, we’ll work with the state board, governor, legislators and all interested stakeholders, and then we’ll traverse the state again to gather even more feedback. ESSA seeks broad input, and we’ll make sure there are multiple opportunities for everyone to participate.”
ESSA Listening Tour schedule:
- 1-4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 4, at El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union Ave., Pueblo.
- 1-4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 4, Grand Junction Central Library Community Rooms, 443 N. Sixth St., Grand Junction.
- 1-4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Thursday, May 12, at Durango School District Board Room, 201 E. 12th St., Durango.
- 1-4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday, May 16, at UNC Greeley, University Center, 2045 10th Ave., Greeley.
- 1-4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 18, Best Western Vista Inn, 733 U.S. Highway 24 N., Buena Vista.
- 9 a.m.-noon, Friday, May 20, East Central BOCES, 820 Second St., Limon.
- 1-4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday, May 23, at Adams 12 Facility Operations Conference Center, 1500 E. 128th Ave., Thornton.
- 9 a.m. -noon, Wednesday, June 1, webinar.