This page provides up-to-date information on some significant instructional resources (and means of accessing additional resources) for the successful implementation of the Common Core State Standards. As a Common Core state, the Colorado Academic Standards in Mathematics and Reading, Writing, and Communicating fully include the Common Core standards in Mathematics and English Language Arts. The Standards and Instructional website also provides information on the history/timeline of the Colorado Academic Standards and the state’s involvement in the Common Core State Standards initiative.
This instructional resource page is organized by the following topics related to Common Core State Standards:
- English Language Arts & Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
- The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers.
- Defining the Core, created by Broward County Schools, supports both English Language Arts and Mathematics instruction. The site offers explanations of instructional shifts, resources to support teachers and students in meeting those shifts, and a variety of professional development videos and webinars to support teachers. The site also includes resources for parents and community members to deepen their understanding of the Common Core.
- Student Achievement Partners was founded by David Coleman, Susan Pimentel and Jason Zimba, lead writers of the Common Core State Standards. The work is aimed at ensuring that teachers across the country are able to put the standards to work, quickly and effectively, to help their students and colleagues aspire to a higher standard and reach it. The site offers hundreds of math and literacy resources for teachers.
- The Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) provides a Toolkit for Evaluating Alignment of Instructional and Assessment Materials to the Common Core State Standards (PDF). The Toolkit is a set of interrelated, freely available instruments for evaluating instructional and assessment materials for alignment to the CCSS. Each tool in the Toolkit supports the expectations in the CCSS and derives from the Publishers’ Criteria for the Common Core State Standards in English language arts/literacy and mathematics. The Toolkit was developed for use by educators and administrators responsible for developing or evaluating curriculum, or for making purchasing decisions for instructional and assessment materials.
- You can "Take the Common Core Challenge" by viewing the practical workshop demonstrations in English, Math, Science and Social Studies from the Common Core Teacher Institute, which include lesson plans, alignment tools, and student handouts for your use and adaptation.
- Internet searches allow you to type in the CCSS coding to find resources for specific standards. See examples below:
To find information on using similar triangles to explain equal slopes, type "8.EE.6" in the internet search bar. The search would yield results similar to this:
English Language Arts Standards Example
To find information on argument writing in 6th grade, type "W.6.1a" in the internet search bar. The search would yield a results similar to this:
The Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) in Mathematics are grounded in the Common Core State Standards. Teachers, instructional coaches, and administrators may find the following resources helpful as we continue our transition to full implementation of the CAS.
- Illustrative Mathematics illustrates the range and types of mathematical work students experience in a faithful implementation of the Common Core State Standards. They also publish other tools to support implementation of the standards.
- TurnOnCCMath - The GISMO research team at North Carolina State University has developed 18 learning trajectories that unpack the K-8 Common Core State Standards for Mathematics from the standpoint of student learning, and elaborate the underlying scientific research in mathematics education. TurnOnCCMath is a comprehensive resource to support teachers, teacher educators, professional development providers, and district and state-level curriculum experts in interpreting the CCSS-M for instructional implementation.
- The Council of the Great City Schools' Parent Roadmaps in mathematics provide guidance to parents about what their children will be learning and how they can support that learning in grades K-8. These parent roadmaps for each grade level also provide three-year snapshots showing how selected standards progress from year to year so that students will be college and career ready upon their graduation from high school.
For additional resources please visit the CDE Mathematics webpage.
The Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) in Reading, Writing, and Communicating are grounded in the Common Core State Standards. Teachers, instructional coaches, and administrators may find the following resources helpful as we continue our transition to full implementation of the CAS.
- International Reading Association (IRA) provides information on text complexity, guidance for literacy standards implementation, and other literacy resources.
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) offers support for the key instructional shifts while keeping students at the center of instruction.
- Edutopia.org includes information on implementation, lesson planning, and assessment as well as articles and research exploring the Common Core.
For additional resources please visit the CDE Reading, Writing, and Communicating webpage.