Best Practices are essential for classrooms, schools and districts to accomplish positive outcomes in student health knowledge and skills.
Resources for best practices:
- Colorado PE Standards and Health Standards (PDF)
- Tobacco Free Schools Resources
- The Colorado Education Initiative Healthy Schools Best Practices Guide
- CDC School Health Guidelines
School Health Policies are the foundation for healthy schools. To begin, school districts can identify and review all policies related to health, and determine if they are current or need to be updated.
Resources for school health policies:
- Sample Local Wellness Policies
- Fit, Healthy and Ready to Learn, A School Health Policy Guide from the National Association of State Boards of Education
- Colorado Tobacco Free Schools Checklist (Coming Soon!)
- Colorado Wellness Policy Resources
- Colorado School Health Policies reported in the 2008 School Health Profile Survey
- National 2008 School Health Profile
- State School Health Policy database from the National Association of State Boards of Education
- School Policies and Practices to Improve Health and Prevent Obesity: National Elementary School Survey Results:
School Years 2006-07 and 2007-08 (Executive Summary) Bridging the Gap
Published: June 2010
Summarizes findings on foods and beverages offered at lunch or sold in vending machines, physical education programming, and walking or biking to school under the federal wellness policy mandate. Outlines policy options for improvement and monitoring.