Office of Gifted Education
Welcome to the gifted and talented education section of the CDE website. We hope that at this site, you will find answers to many of your questions and the support you need for working with highly-able students. The Office of Gifted Education is one of three offices under the Exceptional Student Services Unit (along with the Office of Special Education and the Office of Gifted Education).
"Gifted and talented children" means those persons between the ages of five and twenty-one whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. Children under five who are gifted may also be provided with early childhood special educational services. Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic and ethnic, cultural populations. Gifted students are capable of high performance, exceptional production, or exceptional learning behavior by virtue of any or a combination of these areas of giftedness:
- General or specific intellectual ability.
- Specific academic aptitude.
- Creative or productive thinking.
- Leadership abilities.
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities.
Gifted Education Vision 2012 - 2016
Gifted Education Directors' Meeting Documents - April 2013
Level 2 - Two Day Workshops
April Workshops (Metro, Colorado Springs)
Exceptional Level II - Information and
Registration Form (DOC)
Graduate Credit for Twice Exceptional Training
CDE Sponsored Gifted Education Listserv
Colo-GT provides local, regional, state and national information and discussion for Colorado educators and other interested persons concerning gifted and talented student education.
- Directions to Subscribe (PDF)
- East Central February 2013 (PDF)
- Metro February 2013 (PDF)
- North Central February 2013 (PDF)
- Northeast February 2013 (PDF)
- Northwest February 2013 (PDF)
- Pikes Peak February 2013 (PDF)
- San Luis Valley February 2013 (PDF)
- Southeast February 2013 (PDF)
- West Central February 2013 (PDF)
- West Southwest February 2013 (PDF)