ESSA Statewide Listening Tour
By Patrick Chapman, Executive Director, Federal Programs
Wednesday, April 6, 2016 - 3:22pm
Colorado Department of Education staff will travel to six sites in May to discuss the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and solicit feedback from the community regarding key provisions of the law. This is the beginning of a year-long effort to engage Coloradans in the writing of the state’s ESSA plan.
Two teams will present a general overview of ESSA and then facilitate a community discussion. Sessions will include discussion about standards and assessments, accountability, supports for students and parent and community engagement. Feedback also will be collected about how Colorado can become one of the seven states in a pilot program to develop more instructionally connected approaches to state assessments.
Two sessions will be held at each location, one in the early afternoon and another after work for parents, teachers and community members. Feedback from the ESSA listening events will be compiled and used by ESSA working group committees to inform development of the state’s ESSA plan. The goal is to develop a Colorado ESSA plan that is clearly understood and can be supported by all.
ESSA Listening Tour Schedule
Pueblo -- Wednesday, May 4, El Pueblo History Museum, 301 N. Union Ave.
Grand Junction -- Wednesday, May 4, Grand Junction Central Library Community Rooms,443 N. Sixth St.
Durango -- Thursday, May 12, Durango School District Board Room, 201 E. 12th St.
Greeley -- Monday, May 16, UNC Greeley, University Center, 2045 10th Ave.
Buena Vista -- Wednesday, May 18, Best Western Vista Inn, 733 US Highway 24 N.
Thornton -- Monday, May 23, Adams 12 Facility Operations, Conference Center,1500 E. 128th Ave.
To register for the sessions or for more information about the ESSA Listening Tour, visit http://www.cde.state.co.us/fedprograms/essa
- Additional ESSA Listening Events – In addition to the listening tour, CDE will be reaching out to specific constituency groups to provide ESSA information.
- ESSA webinar – CDE will conduct a webinar for those unable to attend in person.
- June 17 event – This event will be hosted by several of our partners from across the state as a chance for further discussion about the ESSA plan.
- Following the listening tour, ESSA committees will work to develop a first draft of the state plan.
- A September “back-to-school” summit will kick off the vetting process before the plan will be submitted to the State Board of Education and governor for approval before being delivered to the U.S. Department of Education.