The following is a snapshot of P-3 efforts at the Colorado Department of Education.
- P-3 Leadership Cadre – small group of Principal lead teams in schools learning about and working on developing P-3 learning systems.
- Literacy – numerous programs through the Office of Literacy including the Early Literacy Grants, professional development, and implementation of the READ Act.
- Early Learning in ESSA – P-3 early learning is included in Colorado’s ESSA state plan. Efforts continue to identify opportunities to support early learning at the state and local district level.
- School Readiness – training, technical assistance and grants supporting school and district level P-3 efforts. This includes school readiness assessment, and the “Power of Kindergarten” training promoting the awareness of developmentally appropriate practices.
- Colorado Preschool Program/ECARE – Half-day preschool program for eligible 3 – 5 year olds. To qualify children must have risk factors in their lives that could be barriers to success. CPP is funded through school finance dollars. A portion of the funding can be used to cover the cost of additional CPP slots, or for full-day kindergarten (ECARE).
- Special Education Preschool – Funded by IDEA, preschool services for special needs children ages 3-5.
- Results Matter – Colorado’s program supporting the collection of authentic assessment data to inform classroom instruction and, program and policy decisions. Involves cross-unit and cross-agency partnerships.
- Early Childhood Professional Development - cross-unit and cross-agency partnerships that have led to the creation of an online Early Childhood Professional Development System (PDIS) supporting adults that work with children from birth through age eight. Part of a public/private partnership working on an EC Industry Economic Analysis, EC Workforce Survey, EC Policy Scan, and Colorado’s EC Workforce 2020 Plan.