Below are national briefs and handbooks that can be downloaded and distributed in evacuation centers and other places for families that have been impacted by natural disasters.
The parent handbook and local liaison handbooks are particularly helpful and contain school and community resource information including FEMA, the American Red Cross, and more.
The handbook series (also available in hard copy) explains how the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act applies to students displaced by disaster and how the Act can assist these students and their families. Each handbook in the series targets information to either parents of displaced children, relief agencies, or educators.
Connecting Schools & Displaced Students series
- Meeting the Educational Needs of Students Displaced by Disasters: Youth on Their Own
- What Relief Agencies Should Know About the Educational Rights of Children Displaced by Disasters
- What School District Administrators Should Know About the Educational Rights of Children Displaced by Disasters
- After the Storm: Information for Parents on How Schools Can Help After Disasters (for Parents)
- Disaster Relief Agencies and Schools: Working Together to Ensure School Enrollment and Success* (for Local Liaisons & State Coordinators)
- From the School Office to the Classroom: Strategies for Enrolling and Supporting Students Experiencing Homelessness (for Local Liaisons, Enrollment Staff & District Administrators)
- School as a Safety Net: Connecting Displaced Children With Educational and Support Services (for Relief Agency Staff & Volunteers)