- New Liaison Orientation PowerPoint (PPT) updated 2010
- Educational Rights for Homeless Children and Youth Posters - These are available in English and Spanish to download and help LEAs comply with federal posting requirements. Posters can be ordered at NCHE at SERVE. The first 25 ordered are free!
- NCHE at SERVE Local Liaison TOOLKIT a comprehensive resource that will assist both new and veteran local liaisons in carrying out their responsibilities
- Ten Things YOU Can Do to Help Children in Homeless Situations Go Back to School (PDF) for back to school
- Training Examples and Documents
- McKinney-Vento Overview PowerPoint (PPT) from SERVE-NCHE
- Self Paced On-line Trainings from NCHE at SERVE
- Sample Policies
- For sample McKinney-Vento district policy templates, please contact Colorado Association of School Boards at www.casb.org and reference sample policy numbers: JFABD and JFADB-R.
- Sample Enrollment Forms
- Enrollment Tools and Sample Forms (PDF) from NCHE at SERVE
- Sample Transportation Documents
McKinney-Vento 2014-2015 Back to School Overview
As a new school year begins, the following resources will be helpful in serving your students experiencing homelessness. With the number of homeless students tripling since 2003-04, we know your work is more vital than ever. My contact information is at the bottom of this page, and I am available via phone, e-mail, or in person to discuss questions or feedback regarding the education of homeless children and youth. In addition, please consider reaching out to Paula Gumina, a program specialist at the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) who also works with McKinney-Vento Homeless Education, and/or the McKinney-Vento Regional Consultants across the state (contact information available here). We look forward to working with you in the year ahead.
Liaison and Back to School Information:
- Federal Brief on the Role of the Liaison and Implementation Strategies
- Determining Eligibility (document with sample questions and other insights on how to assess McKinney eligibility)
- McKinney-Vento Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 Things YOU Can Do to Help Homeless Children Go Back To School (can be distributed to increase school and community awareness)
- Common Signs of Homelessness (flyer)
- Tip Sheets for Multiple Audiences (can assist in building awareness and collaboration to support McKinney eligible students)
Additional McKinney-Vento Back to School Resources and Information: