Cassette Machine (cont)
How to Play the Standard Cassette Player (C1)
NLS tapes play at half the normal tape speed, and contain four sides on
each cassette rather than the two on commercial tapes. To play a four-
track cassette, follow these steps:
At the end of each side, the narrator will announce directions to remind you what is
required to play the next side.
- Push down the EJECT key—the key with no markings on the far right of
the control keys. This opens the cassette door.
- Insert the cassette into the cassette door with the Braille side up
(Side 1). The edge of the cassette with the tape exposed faces
toward you. Be careful not to touch the exposed tape. Close the door.
- Locate the SPEED switch. It is the rocker switch on the control panel
second from the back/top of the machine. Push the left side down to the
- Locate the SIDE SELECTOR switch. It is the rocker switch on the control
panel below the speed switch, third from the top or third from the bottom.
Push the left side down to the 1–2 position.
- Press the PLAY key—green in color and marked with an O. Wait for about 30
seconds to hear the beginning of the book. Adjust tone and volume settings—sliding
controls on the control panel.
- At the end of Side 1, press the STOP key—red in color and marked with an X.
- 7. Press the EJECT key and turn the cassette over. The Braille side will now be down. Push the cassette door closed.
- Press the PLAY key, and play side 2.
- At the end of side 2, STOP the cassette, EJECT it, and turn it over again.
The Braille side should be up.
- To play side 3, locate the SIDE SELECTOR switch. Push down to the right to the
3–4 position. Press PLAY.
- At the end of side 3, STOP the cassette, EJECT, and turn it over.
The Braille side should be down.
- To play side 4, press PLAY.
- At the end of side 4, press STOP. EJECT the cassette. When you
have completed all four sides, the tape is back at the beginning.
There is no need to rewind. Follow the recorded instructions at the
end of the tape.
- When you go on to the next cassette marked side 5, be sure to change
the SIDE SELECTOR switch back to the left to the 1–2 position.
Return to Cassette Machine page