“Working with the CPP administrator is an excellent resource for elementary schools. It builds a collaborative process that helps to build a bridge between these two levels and helps us to align our instruction. At the elementary level, we appreciate the student information we receive from CPP to help determine the best placement for students entering kindergarten.”
Celeste Hyland, Principal, Garfield Elementary
Thompson School District
As Colorado moves to a P-20 educational system, we must work to build and maintain bridges with our colleagues. Presented here are ideas some districts are using to encourage understanding and collaboration.
Educating and Including Administration
The Quality Standards are part of a "Classroom Quality Checklist" that elementary principals reference in understanding the teaching practices and learning environmental requirements for Pre-K classrooms with their buildings.
CPP Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adams 14 (Commerce City)
- District wide, Adams 14 continues to provide weekly "walkthroughs" utilizing a formal observation process in all grades, preschool through 12th. Teams of administrators, coordinators and principals visit every classroom weekly to check for standards-based curriculum, review delivery of instruction, and check for student engagement.
- Walkthroughs are a quick method for these teams to take a snapshot of instruction and engagement. The ultimate goal is to increase the quality of instruction identifying specific needs for professional development at every grade level.
CPP Contact: Sue Okerson, email@example.com
- We have begun to use the new P-12 state standards, as well as the Creative Curriculum Developmental Continuum objectives to drive our instruction. Curriculum Calendars, based on standards and benchmarks, have been developed and are being utilized as a scope and sequence to direct teaching.
- Four of the preschool teachers have served on the district Curriculum Alignment Teams for literacy, math, science and social studies
Boulder Valley School District
- During this school year, some principals working collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Early Childhood used portions of the checklist during their classroom observations. The principals found the information very useful in their work with preschool teachers. During the 2009-2010 school year, the Assistant Director of ECE will meet quarterly with P-5 principals to build a stronger understanding of best practices in early childhood.
- Principals will receive a manual with information ranging from basic child care licensure requirements to early childhood curriculum.
CPP Contact: Donna Arnold, firstname.lastname@example.org
Garfield RE 2 (Rifle)
The early childhood team meets once a month on Friday for professional development activities. This year, principals will attend these meetings as appropriate.
CPP Contact: Deb Ghan, email@example.com
Adams-Arapahoe 28J (Aurora)
This year, for the first time, elementary school principals and community site directors have received professional development on Creative Curriculum and the overall expectations for preschool instruction. This increased awareness and understanding of preschool curriculum has resulted in several school principals requesting new or additional preschool classrooms for their elementary school sites.
CPP Contact: Sheri Charles, firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Support for Programs
Thompson School District (Loveland)
- A full-time early childhood principal serves as the director of the entire program. The principal is the director of the CPP program and works with the coordinator staff to complete CPP requirements. In addition, secretarial support is provided to the CPP program to provide administrative and enrollment support.
- We will be adding extra hours for staff in the summer time to provide additional screening opportunities and time to place children in classrooms. We are also exploring the option of adding a data entry person on a temporary basis to help with the set-up of the files, student data system, and Creative Curriculum.
CPP Contact: Theresa Clements, email@example.com