Duplicate counts were identified within the October count when CDE began assigning SASIDs (State Assigned Student ID Numbers) to students included in the October count.
A number of these duplications occurred in preschool, oftentimes for two reasons:
- School districts using early childhood alternative count dates.
- Early childhood alternate count dates of November 2 are available to all school districts.
- School districts who use an alternative count date should not assume that children enrolling in preschool have not already been enrolled in another school district.
- Parents enrolling children concurrently in two different school districts.
- Example 1: A child was attending A.M. preschool in one district and P.M. preschool in another district.
- Example 2: A child attends A.M. preschool in one district and an online charter school for P.M. preschool or kindergarten.
A district that counts a child on October 1 will have priority over a district that includes a child in a later alternative count.
- School districts should also be careful when enrolling children living outside their school district.
- When a duplicate count is identified, the child’s district of residence will have first priority for including the child in their October count for funding
“If families enroll a child in preschool at the same time, in two different school districts or online programs, then those families may be responsible for paying tuition to one of those districts.”
- October Count Guidelines
- Serving One Child with Two “Slots”
- November 2 as an Alternate Early Childhood Count
- ECARE and the October Count
- What Records Must Be Kept for October Count
If you have any questions about the October or November count please contact Cathrine Floyd: Floyd_C@cde.state.co.us or 303-866-6602