June 6, 2011
State Board Of Education This Week Will Receive Draft Rules For The Implementation Of A Statewide Educator Effectiveness System; Agenda Set For Wednesday, June 8
The Colorado State Board of Education this week will receive draft rules for the administration of a statewide system to evaluate the effectiveness of licensed personnel in school districts and boards of cooperative educational services.
Established by an executive order of former Gov. Bill Ritter in March 2010, the council and its charge was later codified in Senate Bill 10-191, commonly known as “The Great Teacher and Leaders Bill.” The law requires the state board to work with the State Council for Educator Effectiveness to “promulgate rules concerning the planning, development, implementation, and assessment of a system to evaluate the effectiveness of licensed personnel.” The state council’s recommendations, which were presented to the state board in April, were used to help develop the draft rules.
The draft rules will be presented to the state board on Wednesday, June 8 during the board’s regularly scheduled meeting. The state board meeting will begin at 9 a.m. with the presentation on educator effectiveness commencing at 9:30 a.m. and continuing until 11:30 a.m. The public will have the opportunity to provide input on the draft rules from 11:30 a.m. to noon, or following the conclusion of the department’s presentation. If you wish to provide comments on the rules, a sign-up sheet will be provided at the meeting. Depending on the number of individuals wishing to speak, the time for testimony may be limited.
The meeting will take place in the first-floor board room at the Colorado Department of Education offices, 201 E. Colfax Ave., in Denver.
Audio for the state board meeting is streamed live during the meeting at http://www.cde.state.co.us/index_sbe.htm. To view a detailed agenda including support documents, visit http://www.boarddocs.com/co/cde/Board.nsf/Public.
Following is the agenda:
Wednesday, June 8
- Approval of the agenda and consent agenda
- 9:15 a.m.—Reports from members of the state board of education
· 9:25 a.m.—Director of state board of education relations report
· 9:30 a.m.—Presentation of draft rules for the implementation of a statewide educator effectiveness system.
· 11:30 a.m. to noon—Opportunity for public feedback on the draft educator effectiveness rules.
· Noon to 12:45 p.m.—Lunch and executive session
· 12:45 p.m.—Commissioner’s report
· 1:30 p.m.—Innovation Schools Act applications
o Denver Public Schools request for designation as a District of Innovation for the benefit of High Tech Early College, Denver Center for 21st Century Learning at Wyman and Collegiate Prep Academy.
· 2 p.m.—Department of Education reports
o Legislative update
o Early Childhood Assessment System
o Standards: Extended Evidence Outcomes
o High school mathematics assessment design options
· 4:15 p.m.—Action items
- Request from educator to remove certain information in the educator’s file.
· Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license, charge number 2007EC28.
· Disciplinary proceedings concerning an application for an authorization, charge number 2011EC06.
· Disciplinary proceedings concerning an authorization, charge number 2011EC07.
· Disciplinary proceedings concerning an authorization, charge number 2011EC08.
· Disciplinary proceedings concerning a license charge number 2010EC22.
· Approval of a request for a waiver by Arriba-Flagler School District 20 on behalf of East Central BOCES.
· Approval of the recommended 2011 grantees for the Expelled and At-Risk Student Services Grant Program.
· Approval of payments to administrative units under the Exceptional Children’s Educational Act for reimbursement of payments for students in high cost in district and out of district placements or programs, 2009-10.
· Appointment of two members to the Special Education Fiscal Advisory Committee.
· Approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Aurora Public Schools on behalf of New America School.
· Approval of a waiver request from certain statutes by Colorado Springs School District 11 on behalf of CIVA Charter School.
· Approval of certification of an online program for the Thompson School District on behalf of Thompson Online.
· Adoption of emergency rules for the administration of the Exceptional Children’s Educational Act.
· Approval of notice of rulemaking concerning rules for the administration of the Exceptional Children’s Educational Act.
· Request for authorization of the Get Smart Schools Alternative Principal Preparation Program.
· Determination of Hope Online Learning Academy Co-Op vs. Eaton School District RE-2 memorandum of understanding appeal.
· Determination of Hope Online Learning Academy Co-Op vs. Harrison School District 2 memorandum of understanding appeal.
· Approval of notice of rulemaking regarding rules for the administration of a statewide system to evaluate the effectiveness of licensed personnel in school districts and boards of cooperative educational services.
· Accelerating Students through Concurrent Enrollment (ASCENT) program report.
· Public School Finance Act of 1994 (as amended) State Share Payments.
For technical assistance, E-Mail: CDE_Communications_Office@cde.state.co.us