Jan. 10, 2011
State Board Of Education Agendas For Wednesday, Jan. 12 And Thursday, Jan. 13; New Board Members Will Be Sworn In
The Colorado State Board of Education will begin its two days of meetings this month with a formal swearing-in ceremony for new board members Debora Scheffel and Paul Lundeen and returning board member Angelika Schroeder.
The ceremony will take place from 8:15 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 12, in the lobby of the Colorado Department of Education, 201 E. Colfax Ave., in Denver.
Voters in November elected Scheffel to represent the 6th Congressional District and Lundeen to represent the 5th Congressional District. Schroeder, who represents the 2nd Congressional District and who was originally chosen by a vacancy committee two years ago, was also elected to six-year term.
Following the ceremony, the new board will convene to take up its first agenda. Items include:
Wednesday, Jan. 12
- Approval of the agenda.
- Election of chairman and vice-chairman to two-year terms.
- Reports from members of the state board.
- Report from the director of state board of education relations.
- Commissioner’s report.
- 11:30 a.m.—Lunch and executive session (not open to the public).
- Legislative update
- 1:30 p.m.—Public rulemaking hearing on amendments to the rules for accountability and reporting.
- 1:45 p.m.—Public rulemaking hearing on the proposed rules for the administration of the Closing the Achievement Gap project.
- 2:30 p.m.—Public rulemaking hearing regarding the rules for the administration of the school district budget law.
- 3 p.m.—Charter school appeal, Janus International Academy vs. Denver Public Schools.
- Approval of amendments to the rules for the administration of the Exceptional Children’s Educational Act pertaining to the budgets for the education of gifted students.
- Disciplinary proceeding concerning a license, charge number 2010EC24.
- Disciplinary proceedings concerning applications for authorizations, charge number 2010EC30.
- Request for approval of initial emergency authorizations (monthly total, 29).
- Request for approval of renewal emergency authorization (monthly total, 1).
- Five-year authorization of the new teacher preparation program at Colorado Technical University.
- Approval of state share payments for December 2010 under the Public School Finance Act of 1994.
- Approval of state share payments for January 2011 under the Public School Finance Act of 1994.
- Approval of the distribution of funds to eligible school districts in accordance with the English Language Proficiency Act.
- Five-year reauthorization of the teacher preparation program at Regis College for Professional Studies.
- A waiver request from certain statutes by Denver Public Schools on behalf of Denver School of Science and Technology II.
- Notice of rulemaking concerning rules requiring parental notification upon an arrest made or charges brought against a school employee.
Thursday, Jan. 13
- Commissioner search; discussion with search firm (Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates, Ltd.)
- 10:45 a.m.—12:30 p.m. (The state board will be in recess to attend the Governor’s State of the State address.)
- 12:30—1 p.m.—Lunch
- 1:30 p.m.—Recognition of Title 1 Distinguished Schools of the Year.
- 2 p.m.—Report by the Centennial Institute, “Much Better Schools on Much Lower Budgets.”
- Resolution supporting school improvement in Colorado school districts.
- Proposed amendments to the rules for the administration of statewide accountability measures.
- Amendments to the rules for the administration of the Colorado School Awards program.