Nov. 30, 2010
Average Daily Membership Advisory Committee Meets Wednesday, Dec. 1
The Average Daily Membership Advisory Committee will meet Wednesday, Dec. 1 in the Columbine Room at the Colorado Education Association (CEA) from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. The CEA offices are located at 1500 Grant St. in downtown Denver.
The agenda includes:
- Procedural information
- Coloradoís current count
- APA (Augenblick, Palaich and Associates) team and work plan
- What other states use
- Public comment
The committee was created by Senate Bill 10-008, which called for a study of different ways to change the enrollment count system and required the appointment of an advisory board to oversee the work.
The Colorado Department of Education has contracted with Augenblick, Palaich, and Associates for a study to evaluate the feasibility, local education provider impact and design of an average daily membership system of determining a districtís pupil enrollment.
The contractor will consult with the advisory committee as it conducts the study.
The areas of study shall include, but need not be limited to, the following:
1. Research regarding the incentives of count dates on school attendance and enrollment;
2. The advantages and disadvantages of different student enrollment count methods;
3. Policies in other states regarding student enrollment counts and the effects of those policies;
4. A cost analysis of developing a data system to implement an alternative count date system to the system specified in this article;
5. The effects that alternative count date mechanisms would have on the amount of funding that local education providers receive individually and statewide;
6. Various methods and timeliness for implementing an alternative count date mechanism; and
7. Input from the Advisory Committee.
On Aug. 12, 2010 the Colorado State Board of Education appointed the 12 members of the board who represent a variety of stakeholders. The Colorado State Legislature has also appointed Sen. Pat Steadman, Sen. Nancy Spence, Rep. Tom Massey and Rep. Christine Scanlan.
On Monday, Dec. 6, one item on the state board agenda will be the appointment of Colorado Childrenís Campaign executive director Chris Watney to the advisory committee. She would replace Scott Groginsky, also with the Colorado Childrenís Campaign, who has taken a position out of state.
For technical assistance, E-Mail: CDE_Communications_Office@cde.state.co.us