The following documents outline the current research related to teaching reading to English Language Learners (ELL) and offer guidance on how to best meet the education needs of this growing population of students. A list of additional resources are included below.September 2008 Effective Instruction of ELL - Day 1 - Erin Chaparro
November 2008 Effective Instruction of ELL - Day 2 - Erin Chaparro
- Supplemental Information: Routine Cards featured in Touching Base - Vocabulary - Read Aloud - Paragraph Summarization - Background Knowledge
- Supplemental Information: Language Screener, Teaching English Language Learners - What Research Does and Does Not Do, ELL - Oral Language Handout, ELL - Progress Monitoring Rules
Teaching Reading to ELL Students: Information and Resources includes a brief overview of the research points on teaching reading to ELLs, information on language trends in Colorado, Colorado's state guidelines regarding ELL Students and CSAP testing, and a list of additional resources.
Oregon Reading First and ELLs This comprehensive document from the Oregon Reading First Center outlines key concepts and principles related to teaching reading to ELLs. Click here for a summary of this document.
Additional ELL Resources:
- CDE English Language Acquisition Home Page http://www.cde.state.co.us/cde_english/index.htm
- The English Language Development standards for the state of Colorado http://www.cde.state.co.us/cde_english/download/ELDStandardsApril2005.pdf
- Center for Applied Linguistics http://www.cal.org/
- Executive Summary of the Report to the National Literacy Panel on Language-Minority Children and Youth: Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners http://www.cal.org/natl-lit-panel/reports/Executive_Summary.pdf
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition and Language Instruction Educational Programs http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/
- Vaughn Gross Center for Reading and Language Arts http://www.texasreading.org/utcrla