Early Literacy Grant
Beginning in the 2013-2014 school year, the department will award Early Literacy Grant programs through a competitive grant process. On August 8, 2012, the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) presented to the State Board proposed draft rules related to the Early Literacy Grant, one component of the READ Act. After receiving written public comments and holding a rulemaking hearing on October 17, 2012, the State Board voted unanimously to adopt the Early Literacy Grant rules. A copy of the State Board approved Early Literacy Grant rules is linked below.
Proposals are due on or before May 15, 2013. Grants will be awarded July 1, 2013.
Rules for the Administration of the Early Literacy Grant (Adopted 10-17-12)
Early Literacy COGMS Training Webinar
Grant Training Introductory Webinar
On Tuesday, February 12th from 2-4 pm, the Office of Literacy and the Office of Competitive Grants and Awards hosted an introductory webinar to provide information related to the new Early Literacy Grant that will take the place of the Read To Achieve grant in 2013-2014. A recorded version of the webinar is linked below.
Request for Proposal NOW AVAILABLE
The Early Literacy Grant application is now active in the Colorado Grants Management System (COGMS). You will find the funding opportunity by visiting https://g3.state.co.us/grantium/frontOffice.jsf. Click on "Browse Funding Opportunities" to search for the grant. A paper version is provided below and should be considered information only and referenced only for program and application expectations.
- Early Literacy Grant Request for Proposal (RFP) (PDF)
- Early Literacy Grant Letter of Intent (DOC)
- Webinar Recording
- Webinar PowerPoint Handouts (PDF)
- Early Literacy Grant Frequently Asked Questions
Grant Application Technical Assistance
CDE is hosting technical assistance opportunities related to submitting Early Literacy Grant proposals in COGMS in various locations during the month of April.
Session C: April 15th from 2:00 to 5:00 P.M., Colorado Springs School District 11 HR/IT Building, 711 E. San Rafael Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Session D: April 17th from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M., Pueblo City Schools Administration Building, Arapahoe Room, 315 W. 11th Street, Pueblo, CO 81003
Session E: April 26th from 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. at the Adams 12 Conference Center (1500 E. 128th Avenue, Thornton, CO 80241)
Webinar Demonstration: April 18th from 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M.
To register for one of these opportunities, please follow the link provided to complete a short form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XH8NS7F
The purpose of these trainings is to:
1. Introduce the Colorado Grants Management System (COGMS)
2. Train participants on how to navigate the system to ensure timely submission of Early Literacy Grant applications including creating applicant profiles, entering and submitting applications, notifications regarding the status of applications, and submitting modifications that may be requested by the Department after submission is complete.
3. Provide a working training in which the Department will assist applicants with entering grant applications into the system.
4. Address and troubleshoot issues as they are encountered.
Please bring a draft of your proposal and a computer. Programmatic support will be available on a limited basis. Reminder: This training is only for the person(s) within your school or district who will actually enter the application into the COGMS system.
As you continue to draft your proposal in preparation for the grant application training, please take time to carefully review the program webinar, FAQs, and other materials posted here to ensure that your propsal meets all stated criteria.