CDE will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Friday, Nov. 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
You are here
2019-20 READ Act Rules Changes
Important Announcement: READ Act Rules Being Revised
The State Board of Education noticed a rulemaking process for Rules for the Administration of the Colorado Reading to Ensure Academic Development Act (READ Act), 1 CCR 301-9. This update to the rules with incorporate changes to the READ Act that occurred in the 2018 and 2019 legislative sessions. The rulemaking hearing is scheduled for the February State Board of Education meeting.
The rule changes are substantial in nature and related to:
- Administration of interim and diagnostic reading assessments and determination of a significant reading deficiency (section 3.00)
- Actions to be taken upon the determination of a significant reading deficiency (section 4.00)
- Minimum reading competency skill levels (section 5.00)
- Notice of the process for possible inclusion in approved assessment lists (section 8.00)
- Approved interim reading assessments (section 9.00)
- Notice of the process for possible inclusion on advisory lists of instructional programming and supporting technologies and rigorous professional development programs (section 10.00)
- The appeals process for local education providers, and publishers of assessments, instructional programs and supporting technologies, or rigorous professional development programs (section 11.00)
- District reporting requirements, including rules for newly passed K – 3 teacher training requirements (section 13.00)
A copy of the rules can be found at the following link.
The State Board of Education is accepting public comments on the noticed rules. Those interested in submitting feedback can do so at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions, contact Melissa Colsman at email@example.com or 303-866-6737.