Instructing English Language Learners is supported through a wide array of free instructional resources. This webpage lists just a few of these resources and will be updated regularly. If you are an educator in Colorado and have suggestions for a great free resource please email Morgan Cox. For additional opportunities please check Professional Development.
CAL is a private, nonprofit organization working to improve communication through better understanding of language and culture. Some of their many publications:
- Using the SIOP Model: Professional Development Manual for Sheltered Instruction, 2nd Edition Supports educators, at the school, district, and state levels, as they prepare teachers to use sheltered instruction to provide English language access to content while learning English.
- What’s Different About Teaching Reading to Students Learning English? A research-based curriculum to help teachers work more effectively with the English language learners in their classrooms
- Listening and Speaking: Oral Language and Vocabulary Development for English Language Learners This professional development workbook and companion video provide knowledge-building, practical tools for educators working with English learners.
McREL is a private education research and development organization whose mission is “Making a difference in the quality of education and learning for all through excellence in applied research, product development, and service.” A few publications:
- Classroom Instruction that Works with English Language Learners This resource applies the strategies from McREL publication Classroom Instruction that Works to reaching English language learners.
- Classroom Instruction that Works with English Language Learners Facilitators Guide An educator’s guide for conducting professional development on how to improve the academic performance of English language learners.
¡ColorÍn Colorado! is a free web-based service that provides information, activities and advice for educators and Spanish-speaking families of English language learners.
For website support, please contact Morgan Cox