The State Performance Plan is the State's plan to the US Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) that evaluates the State's efforts to implement the requirements and purposes of Part B of the IDEA and how the State will improve the implementation of IDEA Part B. The SPP contains measurable and rigorous targets in 20 indicators that were established by the US Department of Education. These indicators fall into three monitoring priority areas identified by OSEP:
- Provision of a Free, Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE)
- State exercise of general supervision, including child find, effective monitoring, the use of resolution meetings, mediation, and a system of transition services
- Disproportionate representation of racial and ethnic groups in special education and related services, to the extent the representation is the result of inappropriate identification.
The SPP was originally submitted in December 2005. It is updated in February of every year.
- Colorado FFY 2005-2012 State Performance Plan for Special Education, February 2013 Update (PDF)
- Colorado FFY 2005-2010 State Performance Plan for Special Education, original submission December 2005 (PDF)
The Annual Performance Report (APR) is the State's update of the State Performance Plan (SPP). The APR explains the State's efforts over the previous year to reach targets established in the SPP including an explanation of any progress or slippage that might have occurred. Improvement activities conducted in the previous year are examined and future plans for improvement activities are described.
The APR is due in February of every year for the previous year's performance.
For more information, or if you would like a hard copy of the SPP, please contact:
Wendy Sawtell, SPP/APR Coordinator
Phone: (303) 866-6749
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on this webpage are those of the Colorado Special Education Advisory Committee and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Colorado Department of Education or the Colorado State Board of Education.