Site Index | CDE Offices | Staff Directory

School Social Work Licensure

What kind of degree/coursework do I need to become a CO School Social Worker?

Standard Requirements for all Colorado Initial Special Services Licenses

  • An Initial Special Services License may be issued in the endorsement area listed below to an applicant who:
    • Holds a bachelor's or higher degree from an accepted, regionally accredited institution of higher education.
    • Has completed an approved special services preparation program at an accepted, regionally accredited institution of higher education, including required supervised internship, practicum, and/or field experience.
    • Has provided an approved program verification form.
    • Has submitted a complete application for licensure, including official transcripts, associated fees, and other supporting documentation.
  • Additional requirements per special services license:
    • School Social Worker
      • MSW, including coursework in school and special education law
      • Practicum, including one placement with school aged children
      • ASWB Clinical, PLACE School Social Worker exam, or Colorado LCSW issued by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies

What type of license is it?

  • Initial Special Services License - Endorsed in School Social Work
  • Professional Special Services License - Endorsed in School Social Work

Is there an application fee?

  • Yes. Fees are subject to change and must be paid at time of application submission.

Do I need to take a test?

  • The PLACE exams (School Social Work Portion) is a requirement. However, if you are an LCSW, this exam is waived.

How do I sign up for the PLACE ® Exam and how often do they offer the test?

  • The Place Exams are offered 3 times per year.

Where do I apply for licensure?

Quick Links


Contact Us

Colorado Dept. of Education
201 East Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-866-6600
Fax: 303-830-0793
Contact CDE

CDE Hours
Mon - Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
See also: Licensing Hours

Educator Licensing 

WCC Access