A list of acronyms commonly used by the Colorado Department of Education.
- Child Find
Every school district or Boards of Cooperative Educational Services (BOCES) have professionals who are trained to evaluate children in a variety of areas, including cognitive functioning, physical functioning, hearing and vision, speech and language and social and emotional development.
- Child Identification Directory (PDF) - List of Child Find Offices by county across Colorado.
- Fast Facts
Find helpful information about Special Education topics.
- Individualized Education Program (IEP)
Find the Colorado IEP forms, an overview of the special education process and an IEP video for families and educators.
- Special Education Directors
List of the Special Education Directors for Administration Units (Districts) across Colorado.
- Disability Categories
Find specific information on the various disability categories as well as information about physical or health conditions that may have a significant impact on a student's ability to learn and result in an educational disability.
- Families of Students with Disabilities - Informed and Active: The State Performance Plan (SPP) (PDF)
A brochure created by the Colorado Special Education Advisory Committee (CSEAC) to help parents with information regarding the State Performance Plan (SPP), Updated February 2014
- Transition Services - Family Resources
CDE is committed to supporting comprehensive systems that ensure positive post-school outcomes for all learners to be successful in their adult lives.
- 2012-2013 Colorado Accommodations Manual
(Click on link, then scroll down. Note: The printable version of the manual is 182 pages.)
The Colorado Accommodations Manual presents a five-step process for Education Teams, Individualized Educational Program (IEP) Teams, 504 plan committees, general and special education teachers, administrators, and other educational teams to use in the selection, implementation, and an evaluation of instructional and assessment accommodations.
- Extended School Year (ESY) Services Guidance Manual, (51 pages) (PDF)
Read an overview of Extended School Year Services for some Colorado children and youth with disabilities.
- Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) English to Spanish Translation Glossary
This glossary was developed by the Region 1 Parent Technical Assistance Center (SPAN) to ensure that educational terms related to the implementation of IDEA, used in documents to promote parents' authentic participation, are translated in a uniform and comprehensible way, across states, geographical regions and communities of Spanish speakers.
- ESSU Responsibility List, Updated August, 2015 (PDF)
- Resources for a child with a Hearing Impairment, Including Deafness
A child with a hearing impairment, including deafness shall have a deficiency in hearing sensitivity as demonstrated by an elevated threshold of auditory sensitivity to pure tones or speech where even with the help of amplification, the student is prevented from receiving reasonable educational benefit from general education
- Resources for a child with a Visual Impairment, Including Blindness
A child with a Visual Impairment, including Blindness shall have a deficiency in visual acuity and/or visual field and/or visual functioning where, even with the use of lenses or corrective devices, he/she is prevented from receiving reasonable educational benefit from general education
- Resources for a child with Deaf-Blindness
A child with Deaf-blindness has concomitant hearing and visual impairments, the combination of which causes such severe communication and other developmental and educational needs that they cannot be accommodated in special education programs solely for children with deafness or children with blindness
- Resources for a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder