You are here
1 Year Substitute Authorization Requirements
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I find a job as a substitute teacher in Colorado?
School staffing is the responsibility of each Colorado school district. Please contact districts directly regarding job openings. You can view districts based on region by selecting links on the Colorado School District Regional Map. Job openings are regularly posted through the CASE Job Center, Connecting Colorado, K12 Spot and Unified Talent SchoolSpring. Visit the Colorado Teaching Jobs webpage for more information.
2. How long will it take to process l of my application for a substitute authorization?
Typically, it takes approximately 2-4 weeks from date of receipt to process a complete substitute authorization application.
3. How do I renew my 1-year substitute authorization?
You will complete a new 1-year substitute authorization application via the eLicensing site. Because each 1-year authorization is associated with a specific school district, a school administrator is required to complete, sign and date a new 1-year substitute verification form as part of the application process.
You may only renew if you are within 6 months of expiration. If you apply prior to 6 months, your application will not be processed and you will have to reapply within the 6 month timeframe.
4. Is the 1-year substitute authorization also called an "emergency substitute" authorization?
No, CDE does not issue an "emergency substitute" authorization.
5. Am I required to turn in another fingerprint card and fingerprint fee if I have already held a Colorado license or authorization?
As long as your Colorado license or authorization has not lapsed for more than one year (and you have not been contacted by CDE to submit another set of fingerprints), you will not need to submit another set for CDE licensure purposes at this time. Your employer, however, may require you to submit fingerprints for employment. Please contact their human resources office.
6. Can I fax or mail an application to CDE?
No, all applications must be completed using the eLicensing system. No hardcopy applications are accepted or available.
7. Will the 1-year substitute authorization cover any specific endorsement area or grade level?
Substitute authorizations are valid for K-12 classrooms, but are not issued with specific endorsement areas and are only valid in the district that completed your verification form. If you are substitute teaching in more than one school district, you will need to submit one application for each district you plan on subbing in. Placement of substitute teachers will be the responsibility of the Colorado school district that will be employing you.
For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator.