Educator preparation program approval and re-authorization is an evaluation process that determines if a degree program meets state standards defined in statute, Colorado State Board of Education rules and department policy and guidance. The process is carried out collaboratively by the Colorado Department of Higher Education and CDE and includes initial approval and reauthorization not more than once every five years. Initial approval and reauthorization are required for any institution offering educator preparation programs leading to endorsement in Colorado, including public, private and out-of-state institutions.
The Colorado State Board of Education and Colorado Commission on Higher Education are the entities designated to review and approve educator preparation programs. CDE is responsible for conducting content reviews of educator preparation programs offered by institutions of higher education and designated agencies1. To this end, CDE refines the process for reviewing educator preparation programs to ensure that both traditional and alternative preparation programs meet the performance based standards for Colorado teachers and endorsement related standards delineated in the Rules for the Administration of the Educator Licensing Act of 1991.
Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) 23-1-121, if the state board of education recommends that a program's content not be approved, the Colorado Commission on Higher Education must follow this recommendation by refusing initial approval or placing the program on probation. (See C.R.S. 23-1-121 and C.R.S. 22-2-109.)
To learn more about educator preparation and programs review the information below.
- Educator Preparation
- Alternative Teacher Candidate FAQs
- Alternative Teacher Preparation Leaders Homepage
- Designated Agencies for Alternative Teacher Preparation
- Designated Agencies for Alternative Teacher Preparation FAQ
- Alternative Principal Preparation Program Requirements
- Alternative Principal Preparation FAQ
- District Approved Alternative Principal Preparation
- State Approved Educator Preparation Institutes of Higher Education
Content Review Cover Page Forms
Please complete and include with content review materials.
- Click on the appropriate educator preparation program content review cover page below.
- Save a copy to your computer.
- Complete one form for each educator preparation program submitted for initial approval or reauthorization.
Educator Preparation Program Content Review:
Program Review Links and Resources
This contains the literacy and endorsement matrices, sample syllabi and other resources to help educator preparation programs submit the required documents for approval.
1 CO Statue 22-2-109 (5)(a): "The state board shall review the content of teacher preparation programs offered by institutions of higher education within the state. Such review shall be designed to ensure that the content of each program is designed and implemented in a manner that will enable a teacher candidate to meet the requirements specified by the state board."