Preparing to Apply
Am I in the Right Place?
This checklist is for applicants seeking a 1-year substitute teacher authorization to serve in a public school district, charter school, BOCES or approved facility school only. If you are seeking a 3-year or 5-year authorization, please review the other checklists and make the appropriate selection.
Note that a 1-year substitute authorization is valid for 12 months from the date the application is approved.
- You will need electronic copies of all documentation.
( Get Help with Document Scanning )
- Allow ample time to request any third party transcripts or other documentation.
1 year from date of issue
- Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- If you already hold a valid, CDE-issued educational credential and have consistently maintained an active credential (authorization or license) since you submitted your fingerprints, you can skip this step. We reserve the right to evaluate your application for adherence to the fingerprint requirements and will notify you by email should any follow-up be needed.
- If you have submitted fingerprints for CDE credentialing in the past, but allowed all credentials to lapse and have held no active credential for a period exceeding 1 year, you must submit a new set of fingerprints.
- Confirm you have a valid form of government-issued identification.
( View List of Valid IDs )
- Within the application you must include employment history for at least the past 5 years.
- Include employer/business name, dates of employment, reason for leaving, work addresses, supervisor names, and contact information.
- Complete the application section of the One Year Substitute Verification Form.
- Forward the form to your employer's human resources department to complete and sign the remaining section.
- The employer must return the completed and signed form to you so you can include it with your online application.
- Note that if you intend to substitute for more than one employer, you will need to complete a separate form for each district, BOCES, charter school, or approved facility school.
- If applicable, obtain supporting documentation on the following:
- Past criminal history
- Disciplinary actions
- Any issues related to licensure or employment
Register and Apply
Once you have gathered all of the information listed above, you are ready to begin the online application process! Just register for the eLicensing system or, if you are already registered, log in. Then, select the Substitute Authorization application to get started.
For questions, email CDELicensing@cde.state.co.us or call 303-866-6628.