Site Index | CDE Offices | Staff Directory

Standard Requirements for all Colorado Initial Special Services Licenses

An Initial Special Services License may be issued in the endorsement areas listed below to an applicant who:

  • Holds a bachelor's or higher degree from an accepted, regionally accredited institution of higher education.
  • Has completed an approved special services preparation program at an accepted, regionally accredited institution of higher education, including required supervised internship, practicum, and/or field experience.
  • Has provided an approved program verification form.
  • Has submitted a complete application for licensure, including official transcripts, associated fees, and other supporting documentation.


Additional requirements per special services license:

School Audiologist

  • AuD or PhD in School Audiology
  • Completion of an approved program in School Audiology
  • Practicum or internship in a school setting, equivalent to a minimum of 8 weeks full time (320 hours) under the supervision of a professionally-licensed or master's level licensed audiologist
  • Passage of the national audiology exam (Praxis II Audiology)

School Counselor

  • Master's Degree or higher in School Counseling
  • Completion of an approved program in School Counseling
  • Minimum of 100 clock hour practicum
  • Minimum of 600 clock hour internship, with multiple grade levels of students under the supervision of a licensed school counselor (activities in Rule 11.09)
  • Passing of the Colorado state approved content exam (PLACE School Counselor exam)

School Nurse

Option 1

  • Bachelor's of Science in Nursing
  • Holds a valid Colorado Registered Nurse License

Option 2

  • Bachelor's degree in a related field
  • Current national certification in school nursing
  • Three years of experience in school nursing
  • Valid Colorado Registered Nurse License

For both options, candidate must have completed field experiences and supervised praticum as prescribed by the preparing institution, including experiences with school-age children, in a community health/public health or school setting.

NOTE: Whether qualified under option 1 or option 2, if an Associate's degree in Nursing was earned prior to completing the Bachelor's degree, clinical hours would have been completed during the earning of the associate's degree. As such, the applicant must submit a signed, official letter from the associate degree program indicating the number of clinical hours completed.

School Occupational Therapist

  • Bachelor's Degree
  • AOTA accredited occupational therapy program
  • Must complete a practicum or intership as required by the school of OT attended which must include a school setting or setting with school age children.
  • If intership or praticum is not completed through the university program, candidate must have a minimum of 40 hours of direct field experience, working in public education setting, under the supervision of an experienced OT with children or students between the ages of birth to 21.
  • Passing of the national therapy exam through NBCOT
  • Valid Colorado Occupational Therapist License issued by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA)

School Orientation & Mobility Specialist

  • Bachelor's Degree or higher
  • Approved preparation program for school orientation and mobility specialists
  • Practicum or internship  must be in a school setting and equivalent to a minimum of 320 hours, full-time, under the supervision of an Academy of Certification of Vision Rehabilitationand Education Professionals (ACVREP) licensed orientation and mobility specialist.
  • Passing of the ACVREP exam
  • Hold a current and valid ACVREP orientation and mobility certificate

School Physical Therapist

  • Bachelor's Degree or higher
  • Completed academic preparation for managing children in a school setting
  • Completion of American Physical Therapy Association’s Commission on the Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education- accredited physical therapy program
  • Practicum or internship, as required by the physical therapy program attended
  • Hold a current Colorado Physical Therapist License issued by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA)

School Psychologist

  • State approved sixth-year specialist program (60 graduate semester hours) or doctoral program for school psychologist, serving children birth – 21
  • Passing of the national school psychology exam (Praxis II School Psychologist Exam 5402 *Prior to 9/13/08 test code #10400) or National Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) certification
  • Practica
  • Internship consisting of a full-time experience over one year, or half-time over two years with a minimum of 1200 clock hours, of which 600 must be in a school setting
  • The internship may include, beyond the 600 hours in the school setting, other acceptable internship experiences, including in private, state- approved educational programs or in other appropriate mental health or education-related programs.

School Social Worker

  • MSW or higher, which must include coursework in school and special education law
  • Practicum of 900 clock hours in the field of social work which shall have been completed in a school, social service agency, mental health clinic and/or hospital setting with:
    • At least one field experience with school aged children
  • Have successfully completed one of the following:
    • The National School Social Worker examination,
    • The Colorado PLACE exam for School Social Worker (47), or
    • Colorado Assessment for Licensed Clinical Social Workers

School Speech-Language Pathologist

  • Master's Degree or higher in Communication Disorders or Speech-Language Pathology
  • Completion of a Speech-language pathology program accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) in audiology and speech-language pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
  • Practicum or internship, with children and students ages birth-21 in a school setting, equivalent to 8 weeks full-time (320 hours) under the supervision of a professionally licensed SLP
  • Successfully passed a state approved SLP specialty area test (ASHA certification or Praxis II Speech-Language Pathology Exam)


Exam Information

Fingerprint Information


For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator.

Quick Links


Contact Us

Professional Services & Educator Licensure
6000 E Evans Ave
Building #2, Suite 100
Denver, CO 80222
Contact Licensing

Colorado Dept. of Education
201 East Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-866-6600
Fax: 303-830-0793
Contact CDE

WCC Access