Background Check - Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of InvestigationThere are three basic pathways to the alternative license, and once you have begun the Alternative application, it will direct you through a series of questions that will help determine what you will be issued upon submission of your application.
- Pathway 1: Is for an applicant who is not yet in an approved alternative teacher preparation program, and do not yet have a full-time position in an elementary or secondary school.
- Outcome: If approved, the applicant will be issued a Statement of Eligibility (SOE). The SOE will give directions on the next steps required for the alternative license.
- Must hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accepted, regionally accredited college or university.
- Have completed 24 semester hours of credit in the content area required for the endorsement as listed on the Statement of Eligibility Worksheet which will be verified by a transcript review or by passing the Colorado State Board approved content exam.
- Note: The Statement of Eligibility (SOE) is NOT a license, but allows an individual to seek employment in a Colorado school district or accredited non-public school in the approved endorsement area. Upon securing employment, the individual is eligible to enroll in an Alternative Program provided by a state approved Designated Agency.
- Pathway 2: Is for an applicant who was issued an SOE prior to January 4th, 2015, who has now attained employment and entrance in to an approved program.
- Outcome: If approved, the applicant will be issued an alternative license and will need to upload a completed and signed Statement of Assurance of Employment form (see checklist), as well as signed employment documents into the alternative application. If the applicant was issued an SOE after January 4th 2015, they need to follow the directions that came on the SOE that was issued to them.
- Pathway 3: Is for an applicant who meets the requirements from Pathway 1 (above), and have gained entrance into an approved alternative teaching preparation program, and have secured full-time employment in an elementary or secondary school.
- Outcome: If approved, the applicant will be issued an alternative license. In the application, applicants will need to upload a completed and signed Statement of Assurance of Employment (see checklist), as well as signed employment documents. If all of the requirements are met at the time of application, and the applicant is issued the Alternative license, no SOE is necessary.
- Note: The SOE is not a prerequisite to obtaining an alternative license.