Alternative Teacher Program
Background Check - Submit fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation
- Statement of Eligibility
- Submit the online Statement of Eligibility Application to the Colorado Department of Education
- Must hold at least a bachelor's degree from an accepted, regionally accredited college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.6 or higher
- Have completed 24 semester hours of credit in the content area required for the endorsement as listed on the Statement of Eligibility Worksheet which will be verified by a transcript review or by passing the Colorado State Board approved content exam.
- If the application is approved, applicants will be emailed a
Statement of Eligibility which is valid for three years.
- The Statement of Eligibility is NOT a license, but allows an individual to seek employment in a Colorado school district or accredited non-public school in the approved endorsement area. Upon securing employment, the individual is eligible to enroll in an Alternative Program provided by a state approved Designated Agency.
- If the application is not approved, applicants will be emailed any additional coursework or assessment required and will have 90 days from the date the application was received by CDE to submit the additional requirements. After 90 days, the incomplete application will automatically expire, requiring the applicant to reapply.
Alternative Teacher License Application
- Once employment has been secured and the applicant has enrolled in either a 1 year or 2 year Alternative Teacher Licensing Program, an online application for the Alternative Teacher License must be submitted to the Colorado Department of Education. The Designated Agency will assist the applicant with completing the required documentation.