You are here

Substitute Applicant

Colorado Issues three types of substitute authorizations: 1-year authorization, 3-year authorization, and 5-year authorization. A substitute authorization allows you to work in a Colorado public school as a substitute teacher. The substitute authorizations are issued without grade level or subject endorsement area.

5-Year and 3-Year Substitute Authorization

A 3-year substitute authorization requires a bachelor's degree or higher from an accepted, regionally accredited college or university. During the application process, the applicant will be required to upload a copy of the official transcript(s).

A 5-year substitute authorization requires a current or expired Colorado teacher's license/certificate or a current out-of-state teacher's license/certificate. During the application process, the applicant will be required to upload a copy of the teacher's license. Note: a Special Services Provider, Principal or Administrator license does not qualify, it must be a teaching license.

1-Year Substitute Authorization

A one-year substitute authorization requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Not all school districts in Colorado will hire an applicant who holds a one-year substitute authorization. Additionally, the applicant must have been requested by the specific school district prior to being issued the one-year authorization. Once issued, the authorization can only be used at that specific school district.

For technical problems with this page please contact the Web Content Coordinator.

Quick Links


Contact Us

Professional Services & Educator Licensure
6000 E Evans Ave
Building #2, Suite 100
Denver, CO 80222
Contact Licensing

Colorado Dept. of Education
201 East Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Phone: 303-866-6600
Fax: 303-830-0793
Contact CDE

WCC Access