You are here
Colorado Statewide Summer Learning Program
- The theme for the 2020 summer learning program is space, with the same slogan for all ages: Imagine Your Story!
- Check out these handy tutorials from CSLP on how to set up a CSLP account; access the online manual; quickly download the artwork; and set up a Spanish language summer program: https://www.cslpreads.org/2019-a-universe-of-stories-tutorials/
- Partnering with your local Summer Food Service Program is an excellent opportunity to provide your summer program to more kids this summer; learn more about the program and find partnering suggestions in this handout.
- Check out these recommendations for performers for summer and year round from your Colorado library colleagues.
- Interested in an online reading program system? The State Library is sponsoring a limited number of Colorado public libraries to use of ReadingRecord for free or a discounted rate. Find out more here.
- Read about the benefits to kids of reading over the summer, best practices for summer reading programs, and research needs in CSLP's (Collaborative Summer Library Program) Summer Reading White Paper.
- CSLP has great allies! Visit the the CSLP Allies webpage to learn more about the allies and how your library can benefit!
- Thinking ahead?
- The theme for 2021 is animals, with the slogan Tails and Tales
- The theme for 2022 is social justice/kindness/unity, with the slogan All Together Now
- Be sure to join the Colorado youth services email list (CYS-Lib) to keep informed about all things summer learning related!
Programming resources for the 2020 program
- Colorado Performers' List (PDF)--a list of performers recommended by Colorado library staff!
- Fall Youth Services Workshop Resources handout (PDF)
- Fall Youth Services Workshop Booklist (PDF)
- Fall Youth Services PowerPoint (PDF)
About Summer Learning in Colorado Libraries
Colorado is a member of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), a grassroots consortium of states working together to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at the lowest cost possible for their public libraries. By combining resources and working with a commercial vendor to produce materials designed exclusively for CSLP members, public libraries in participating states or systems can purchase posters, reading logs, bookmarks, certificates and a variety of reading incentives at significant savings.The participating systems and states develop a unified and high-quality promotional and programming product. Participants have access to the same artwork, incentives and publicity, in addition to an extensive manual of programming and promotional ideas.
Especially for Educators
- Resources about Summer Slide and the Importance of Reading over the Summer (PDF): Includes research on summer slide, how to connect with your local public library's summer reading program, tips and talking points about summer slide for students and parents, infographics, and more
- Summer Reading Makes a Difference for Colorado Families: LRS Fast Facts on the impact of public library Summer Reading Programs
Especially for Parents, Grandparents, and Caregivers
- Summer Learning in Public Libraries: Outlines why and how to engage your family in reading, learning, and enjoying your local public library this summer
- Summer Reading Parent Tips (PDF): Simple activities for your family this summer to help keep your kids and teens reading--and having fun while doing so!