You are here
Check Out Colorado State Parks
Check Out Colorado State Parks is a library loan program formed through a partnership between Colorado State Library and Colorado Parks & Wildlife. Through it, libraries provide a unique outdoor learning experience for library patrons and expands your library’s services. Borrowers are equipped with a parks pass and a backpack outfitted with a Colorado parks guide, naturalist field guides, activity cards, and other items to enhance their outdoor experience.
About the Program
- Program Overview for Community & Partners (PDF)
- Program Instructions for Libraries (PDF)
- Infographic - Survey findings and stats for program, 2022 (PDF)
- Historical Report (exp. July 2023)
- Infographics on the program's success, 2016-2022 (PDF)
- 2019 Presentation on Check Out Colorado State Parks program (PDF)
- Archive of April 2019 Webinar
Toolkit for Library Staff
- Subscribe to the CheckOutColorado listserv
- State Parks Contact List (PDF)
- Program FAQs
- Program Survey/ Feedback for Library Partners (exp. June 2023)
Replacement Backpack Contents
Park Visitor/ Borrower Evaluations
- Evaluation Form - English and Spanish double-sided (PDF)
- Online Evaluation Form (English)
- Online Evaluation Form (Spanish)
- Prospector Record (PDF) - OCLC #922336142
- To edit these files for your specific local catalog, we recommend using the open source tool MARCedit. For questions about using MARCedit, please contact Virginia Inness at Inness_V@cde.state.co.us
Display and PR Materials
- Summer promotional materials:
- Winter promotional materials:
- Social media kit (PDF) - sample Facebook posts, tweets and newsletter copy
- Backpack logo (PDF) - this logo may only be used to promote the Check Out Colorado State Parks program. Note on printing the logo in black & white or two tone: make sure the ram's chest is dark and the muzzle is white.
- Photo of backpack and its contents (JPG)
- State Parks Pass Options to let your patrons know about the types of park passes available for purchase
- Photos of library promotion examples including creative library displays, outreach programs, flyers, and more that Colorado library staff have produced around this program.
GOCO's Generation Wild Campaign
Great Outdoors Colorado created the Generation Wild public awareness campaign to reconnect kids with nature and get them to experience the incredible benefits that are right outside the front door. Because kids grow better outside.
- GOCO's 100 Things to Do Before You're 12 list (PDF)
- Sample Tweet: Summer library programs are on! Tick off #34: Read a book under a tree from ‘100 things to do before you’re 12' list. https://generationwild.com/
- Sample social media post to customize: The summer program at the ___ Library has begun! That gives your kid the chance to tick off No. 34, Read a book under a tree, from a fun list of ‘100 things to do before you’re 12.’ Grab a book and a printed list at the library or visit GenerationWild.com to learn more. #100ThingsToDo
- Web/social media graphic to use with above posts (JPG)
For general questions about the program, please email Cristy Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 720-926-2159.
Connect With Us