CDE will be closed on Monday, May 25 for the Memorial Day holiday.
You are here
The Colorado State Library is a division of the Colorado Department of Education.
The Colorado State Library (CSL) helps libraries, schools, museums, and other organizations improve services, making it easier for all Coloradans to access and use the materials and information they need for lifelong learning.
Leadership - Innovation - Service
What We Do
We provide leadership and expertise in developing library-related policies, activities, and assistance for school, public, academic, and special libraries. A primary goal of our efforts is to improve the ability of libraries to provide quality services to all Coloradans.
The State Library is arranged by unit according to activities and library needs.
- For people who can't read standard print, the Talking Book Library provides audio, Braille, and large print books keeping you connected to reading, stories, and adventure.
- State Publications provides Colorado residents with free permanent public access to information produced by state government.
- Institutional Library Development supports library services for state-operated residential institutions, including youth and adult correctional facilities, mental health institutes, a school for the deaf and the blind, and veterans homes.
- Library Development provides leadership and support for public and school libraries, plus continuing education and consultation.
- The Library Research Service maintains the library jobline and collects and analyzes data on library use to help inform libraries and their users on the current status of services.
- Networking and Resource Sharing manages statewide services and projects so that libraries don't have to "go it alone." Services such as the Colorado Virtual Library and Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection are examples of the power behind library partnerships, cooperative purchasing, and web-based resources designed to meet multi-type library needs.
- Additional staff help track and distribute state and federal funds to implement new projects.
CSL staff provide consulting and training in areas such as 21st Century learning, strategic planning, library law, children's services, and state institutional library services. We also manage statewide electronic services such as Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection and SWIFT Interlibrary loan, and offer free copies of our brochures and publications.
The State Library strives for cooperation and collaboration among the state's libraries and other library organizations. Please share your ideas, comments, or questions about the state's library services with the staff.