- Registration is open for the 2016 Fall Youth Services Workshops!
There will be three in-person sessions and one online session of the same practical, fun workshop, which will include networking and sharing time, activities and books for babies through adults, and discussions on timely youth services topics. The focus will be on summer programs in general, the 2017 program theme "Build a Better World," maker programs, and more. Library staff, volunteers, board members, and students are welcome! Lunch and beverages will be provided for the in-person sessions.
To learn more and register:
- The theme and slogan for all ages for the 2017 summer program is Build a Better World!
- Please submit your 2016 Summer Program Report; thank you!
2016 Statewide Summer Reading Report Required for all Colorado public libraries, whether they used the statewide summer reading theme or created their own. Please submit one report per library jurisdiction, not one per branch or one per age group. Once we have received your jurisdiction's report, you will be automatically registered to receive materials for the 2017 Summer Program!
2016 Summer Learning and Fun Program in a Box Evaluation Required only for recipients of 2016 Summer Learning and Fun Program in a Box kits
- Interested in an online reading program system? The State Library is sponsoring a limited number of Colorado public libraries to use of ReadingRecord for free or a discounted rate. Find out more here.
- Read about the benefits to kids of reading over the summer, best practices for summer reading programs, and research needs in CSLP's (Collaborative Summer Library Program) Summer Reading White Paper.
- CSLP has great allies! Visit the the CSLP Allies webpage to learn more about the allies and how your library can benefit!
- Thinking ahead?
- The theme for 2018 is Music, All-ages slogan: Libraries Rock!
- The theme for 2019 is Space, slogan TBA
- Be sure to join the Colorado youth services email list (CYS-Lib) to keep informed about when manuals and basic kits are being sent out, how to apply for mini-grants and register for Fall Youth Services workshops, and other helpful information.
About Summer Reading
Colorado is a member of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP).
CSLP is a grassroots consortium of states working together to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at the lowest cost possible for their public libraries.
By combining resources and working with a commercial vendor to produce materials designed exclusively for CSLP members, public libraries in participating states or systems can purchase posters, reading logs, bookmarks, certificates and a variety of reading incentives at significant savings.
The participating systems and states develop a unified and high-quality promotional and programming product. Participants have access to the same artwork, incentives and publicity, in addition to an extensive manual of programming and promotional ideas.
Especially for Educators
- Resources about Summer Slide and the Importance of Reading over the Summer (PDF): Includes research on summer slide, how to connect with your local public library's summer reading program, tips and talking points about summer slide for students and parents, infographics, and more
- Kate DiCamillo's Public Service Announcements and Top 10 Reasons to Participate in their Local Library's Summer Reading Program: Author Kate DiCamillo, two-time Newbery Medal Winner and U.S. National Ambassador For Young People’s Literature, is CSLP's National Summer Reading Champion and has provided these great resources to encourage students to participate in the summer reading program at their local library.
- Summer Reading Makes a Difference for Colorado Families LRS Fast Facts on the impact of public library Summer Reading Programs
Especially for Parents, Grandparents, and Caregivers
Summer Reading Parent Tips (PDF): Simple activities for your family this summer to help keep your kids and teens reading--and having fun while doing so!