You are here
Colorado Statewide Summer Learning Program
- From CSLP: Summer 2020 Additional Resources in Response to COVID-19: This special-edition manual features activities that are simple to provide remotely (online and offline), as well as tips, potential partners, and other info for a successful program during this unique year.
- The Summer Food Service Program is more important than ever this year, and partnering with your local program provides an excellent opportunity to provide your summer program to more kids this summer; learn more about the program and find partnering suggestions in CSLP's toolkit.
- The 2020 Teen Video Challenge is a great program to share with teens in your community! Teens can create and submit their video completely remotely.
- Check out these recommendations for performers for summer and year round from your Colorado library colleagues; many are offering virtual programs this year.
- Interested in an online reading program system?
- Thinking ahead?
- The theme for 2021 is animals, with the slogan Tails and Tales
- The theme for 2022 is oceanography (slogan TBD)
- The theme for 2023 is All Together Now
- Be sure to join the Colorado youth services email list (CYS-Lib) to keep informed about all things summer learning related!
- #SummerLearningWeek: July 6011, 2020. The National Summer Learning Association hosts this annual week-long celebration of summer learning.
Programming resources for the 2020 program
- Crowdsourced Ideas from CO Library Staff--a great list of ideas and promising practices generated in several meetings during spring 2020
- Summer 2020 Programming Webinar archive
- Summer 2020 Programming Webinar slides (PDF)
- Colorado Performers' List (PDF)--a list of performers recommended by Colorado library staff!
- Fall Youth Services Workshop Resources handout (PDF)
- Fall Youth Services Workshop Booklist (PDF)
- Fall Youth Services PowerPoint (PDF)
- The National Summer Learning Association is providing a great array of free summer learning webinars; previous live sessions are all archived for you to view at your convenience.
- The Library of Michigan has many free, archived webinars of interest on programming, the 2020 summer theme, and more; scroll down to Youth Services
- Read about the benefits to kids of reading over the summer, best practices for summer reading programs, and research needs in CSLP's (Collaborative Summer Library Program) Summer Reading White Paper.
Social media to market your library’s summer program
- Social Media Toolkits and Images from CSLP
- Participate in a summer reading program at your public library and imagine your own story! #ImagineYourStory #LibrariesImagine
- Summer reading allows children to discover new ideas, develop skills and imagine their own stories. #ImagineYourStory #LibrariesImagine
- Summer learning at [your library's name] can prevent the summer learning slide & help your kids be ready for school in the fall. Check it out! #ImagineYourStory #LibrariesImagine
- It’s not a myth, Summer Reading [or Learning, Adventure, etc.] is here! Sign up today at (insert your library’s name here)! #ImagineYourStory #LibrariesImagine #CSLPreads
About Summer Learning in Colorado Libraries
Colorado is a member of the Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP), a grassroots consortium of states working together to provide high-quality summer reading program materials for children at the lowest cost possible for their public libraries. By combining resources and working with a commercial vendor to produce materials designed exclusively for CSLP members, public libraries in participating states or systems can purchase posters, reading logs, bookmarks, certificates and a variety of reading incentives at significant savings.The participating systems and states develop a unified and high-quality promotional and programming product. Participants have access to the same artwork, incentives and publicity, in addition to an extensive manual of programming and promotional ideas.
Especially for Educators
- Resources about Summer Slide and the Importance of Reading over the Summer (PDF): Includes research on summer slide, how to connect with your local public library's summer reading program, tips and talking points about summer slide for students and parents, infographics, and more
- Summer Reading Makes a Difference for Colorado Families: LRS Fast Facts on the impact of public library Summer Reading Programs
Especially for Parents, Grandparents, and Caregivers
- Summer Learning in Public Libraries: Outlines why and how to engage your family in reading, learning, and enjoying your local public library this summer
- Summer Reading Parent Tips (PDF): Simple activities for your family this summer to help keep your kids and teens reading--and having fun while doing so!