Summer Reading Program
- One Book 4 Colorado
An annual statewide book giveaway to instill a love of reading in every Colorao 4-year-old
A collection of 30 to 60-second videos modeling to parents, caregivers & library staff songs, rhymes & fingerplays for early childhood.
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL)
Passionately committed to strengthening children's literacy through library services and community advocacy
- Colorado Early Childhood Councils
Bringing partners together to coordinate, increase & improve the education, health & parenting resources available to young children & their families.
- Early Childhood Colorado
Your gateway to services for young children and their families, and the professionals who serve them. Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Kindergarten Readiness Brochure (ages 4-5)
What children should know to function well in kindergarten, tips for parents & caregivers. English and Spanish.
- Reading Tips for Parents Brochure (ages 0-6)
How to read to children and set an atmosphere for reading activities. English & Spanish.
- Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR)
A parent education initiative stressing that early literacy begins with the primary adults in a child's life. The ECRR toolkit empowers public libraries to assume an essential role in supporting early literacy.
- Early Literacy Online Resource Guide (PDF)
Vivienne Houghton, DU Fellow, developed this guide.
- Early Literacy Skills: Getting Ready to Read, From Birth to Age 2 (PDF)
Presentation at the 2011 Fall Youth Services Workshop by Becky Campbell, Pikes Peak Library District
- Storytimes for Children on the Autism Spectrum
Resources stemming from a March 2013 webinar from CO Department of Education, Denver Public Library, and CO State Library.
Support for K-12 Students
Colorado's virtual librarian service, available 24/7 in English and Spanish. Chat online in real time with an information expert.
- K-12 Student Achievement Resources
Prepared by the Colorado State Publications Library.
- Teen Tech Week (TTW) Resources: Check out these TTW resources and ideas from Catherine Boddie, an MLIS student at University of Denver doing her practicum at the CO State Library:
- Gaming Program Pack (PDF) JUST UPDATED!
This guide, updated in 2014, outlines how and why to start a teen gaming program in your library. Just updated by Catherine Boddie!
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL)
A group of professional library staff who meet quarterly to share resources such as summer reading materials, programs, and training.
- Colorado Blue Spruce Award
Recognizes the most popular books among middle and high school students in Colorado. Teens nominate and select the winners.
- Colorado Teen Literature Conference
This annual event promotes and celebrates teen literature.
- Teen Advisory Groups
Teen Advisory Groups (TAGs) can benefit teens in your community as well as your library.
- Teen Read Week
Get ideas for the 2012 Teen Read Week from librarians across the country from this CSL in Session Webinar.
National Youth Services Groups
Programming Ideas, Resources, & Funding
"YS News" newsletter
Features articles on learning development, summer reading updates, timely tidbits like grant opportunities & interesting resources, children's & teen literature news & info on what's going on in CO libraries.
- Volume 3, Issue 2 - Februrary 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Drs. Kamini Singha and Sarah Jayne Hitt
- Volume 3, Issue 1 - January 2014 (PDF)
STEM in Action: Dr. Scott Sampson
- Volume 2, Issue 12 - December 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 6
- Volume 2, Issue 11 - November 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 5
- Volume 2, Issue 10 - October 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 4
- Volume 2, Issue 9 - September 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 3
- Volume 2, Issue 8 - August 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 2
- Volume 2, Issue 7 - July 2013 (PDF)
Teen Zone, part 1
- Volume 2, Issue 6 - June 2013 (PDF)
Tween Scene, part 6
- Volume 2, Issue 5 - May 2013 (PDF)
Tween Scene, part 5
- Volume 2, Issue 4 - April 2013 (PDF)
Tween Scene, part 4
- Volume 2, Issue 3 - March 2013 (PDF)
Tween Scene, part 3
- Volume 2, Issue 2 - February 2013 (PDF)
Tween Scene, part 2
- Volume 2, Issue 1 - January 2013 (PDF)
Tween Scene, part 1
If you have topic suggestions or want to write an article or share info about your programs, email Beth Crist.
Reading and Literacy
Email Lists for Youth Services