Steps in Building a Successful Partnership
1. Define mission, goals and objectives.
· What is the coalition trying to accomplish by coming together?
· Translate the individual goals and objectives of each organization into a mission for the partnership.
2. Identify supporters and stakeholders.
· Who will benefit from this partnership?
· Think about including those who could be adversarial if not included in the process.
· Strategize how to balance and control diverse groups
3. Create a structure.
· Identify the roles needed for the coalition to function.
· Assign responsibilities within all parties.
· Set up a coordinating function to hold the group together and manage communications.
· Develop shared solutions as problems arise.
· Be flexible.
4. Determine expectations.
· Start with outcome measures.
· Obtain consensus on the data elements.
· Collect a baseline before starting, e.g. how many people are already receiving this service?
5. Create a communications network.
· Develop a common language; don’t let semantics become a problem.
· Communicate openly and frequently with all partners.
· Identify a person to effect all internal coalition communication.
· Specify a single spokesperson for all public communication.
6. Develop a message.
· Keep the message simple and relevant.
· Craft a message that works with your local community.
· Repeat the message over and over again.
This information is available to
download in document format (DOC).
Return to Public Library
Information home page
For more information, contact 303-866-6900.