You are here
Public Library Sample Policies
The State Library offers policy development workshops for directors, boards, and/or library staff. Please contact the State Library (303-866-6900) to arrange one at your library.
Can't find what you're looking for or a link is broken? Contact the State Library for policy types and samples not listed here.
Disclaimer: The language in these sample bylaws and policies may or may not be appropriate for your library or may not be the most current version of each. The policies are not endorsed by the State Library; they are simply offered as resources as you develop and/or review your own policy. Please consult with an attorney for legal advice on bylaws or policy development.
The document that dictates how the board will govern itself, in contrast to policies which inform the behavior, actions, and principles of a library.
- ALA Sample Language for Specialized, Government and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Denver Public Library
- Mesa County Libraries
- Point Park University Library
- Tulsa Library
Emergency Closures & Delays
Fines & Fees
Guns in the Library
Library Card Registration
Open Records/CORA Requests
- Arapahoe Library District (with resolution) (PDF)
- Estes Valley Regional Library District
- Red Feather Lakes Community Library
Privacy and Confidentiality
Smoking and Marijuana
- American Library Association
- Policy Development Tips & Samples (Mid-Hudson Library System)
- Public Library Policy Collection (Colorado Library Consortium)
Policy Development Tools
- Master checklist of policies for libraries
- Policy Worksheet (Word)
Template for use in developing library policies
- Policy Worksheet - Sample (PDF)
Example of completed policy worksheet and corresponding final policy
Return to Public Library Information home page
For more information, contact the Colorado State Library, 303-866-6900.