Try some of this information designed for parents, caregivers, teachers, and childcare providers. They contain many links to even more information about children’s literacy. Libraries can give them to individual patrons or to groups during programs and outreach activities.
These documents were prepared by the Colorado State Library. As long as you aren't going to sell copies, feel free to download and copy, but please be sure to give credit to the Colorado State Library.
- Communication & Technology for Kids (PDF)
Free stories on the telephone, a few fun sites on the Internet, and "information literacy" for little ones.
- Fifty Multicultural Books Every Child Should Know (PDF)
- Free Internet Resources for School-Aged Children's Literacy (PDF)
- Free Internet Resources for Early Literacy (PDF)
- Holiday and Vacation Activities for Parents and Kids (PDF)
Lots of Internet sites with crafts, recipes, on-the-go as well as ideas for at-home fun.
- Libros de cuentos en Español (PDF)
Storytime Books in Spanish.
- Models for Early Childhood Literacy Programs (PDF)
- Multicultural Web Resources for Education (PDF)
An initial guide.
- Overview of Early Literacy Issues (PDF)
Summary of research and resources.
- Reading Tips for Parents (PDF)
Easy-to-do activities for parents of children birth through about seven (English and Spanish). Order quantities through our Brochures page.
- Ready? Set? Go! Kindergarten readiness brochure (PDF)
Brief tips for parents and caregivers, for children about four to five (English and Spanish). Order quantities through our Brochures page.
- Spanish-Language Web Resources for Children’s Literacy (PDF)
Support for teachers, parents and librarians.
On the Web
- Reading Rockets
Parent tips in English and many other language.
For additional information, contact Sharon Morris, 303-866-6730.