Who can have fun with babies and children and, at the same, time, help them get ready for reading? Everyone!
- Grandparents and other relatives
- Childcare providers
- Preschool teachers
- Older brothers and sisters
- Neighbors and friends
What can you do?
There are many things. The two most important are:
- Read, read, read. Read aloud to small children. Encourage older children by reading together, to each other, or on your own.
- Talk, talk, talk. Have conversations, even with babies. Ask questions, play games, discuss ideas and things you’re doing.
Make your experiences encouraging and fun and interesting.
Free Resources from the Colorado State Library
The Colorado State Library has two FREE pamphlets you can download, or receive by calling or emailing us. Order in bulk to distribute to local childcares, parents, or home care providers.
Kindergarten Readiness Brochure
We have more resources for parents, caregivers, teachers, and childcare providers.
Libraries can help!
- Public libraries are FREE to all!
- You can borrow many, many free books to use at your house, childcare center, or preschool for several weeks at a time!
- Libraries have free entertainment like story hours!
- School libraries are important for student achievement