Support for Early Literacy in Your Library
- Colorado Libraries for Early Literacy (CLEL): In January 2008, Colorado
Libraries for Early Literacy began coordinating training and outreach
on behalf of the state's libraries. Read an overview of Colorado's
initiative. Get involved as little or as much as you can.
- CLEL Flyer (PDF)
- National Every Child Ready to Read, presented by the Public Library Association and the Association for Library Services to Children: Site includes the complete curriculum for three age-related workshops, support materials, scripts, videos. Implement at your convenience.
- Born to Read - It's Never Too Early to Start!: the “how-to” from PLA and ALSC.
Children’s Literacy Training and Workshops
The Colorado State Library provides training for you and other library staff. Learn how to apply the concepts to story hours and other activities. Make connection with a network of libraries who are already involved. A number of libraries provide training and workshops for adults in early literacy (to reach children birth to eight years).
Contact Best Crist, our Youth & Family Services Consultant, for more information.
Colorado Statewide Summer Reading Program
Stay connected with Colorado Librarians
Register for the Colorado Youth Services (CYS-Lib) email list, hosted by the Colorado State Library, for all library staff working with children or young adults in public, school, and other libraries.
Children's Literacy Resources from the Colorado State Library
The Colorado State Library has two FREE pamphlets you can download, or receive by calling or emailing us. Order in bulk to distribute to local childcares, parents, or home care providers.
Kindergarten Readiness Brochure
We have more resources you can print and offer to parents, caregivers, teachers, and childcare providers.
Web Resources for Older Children
- International Reading Association: Professional organization with parent-teacher resources, as well as other services such as information for English language learners.
- National Education Association: A section especially for parents, including parental involvement in schools, and research links.
- National PTA: Parent resources section. Includes safety and health as well as academic achievement. Also has sections in Spanish.
- Reading Is FUNdamental: A section of the site specifically directed toward school age children.
- Read*Write*Think: Access for educators and students to the highest quality practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction through free, Internet-based content.
- Teen Read Week
- Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) resources
- Colorado Young Adult Advocates in Libraries (C'YAAL): summer reading program, bibliographies, services
- Encourage teens to read
- Reluctant readers (DOC): Patrick Jones' presentation
Reports on the effectiveness of library literacy projects
- “Early Literacy Programs and Practices at Colorado Public Libraries” (PDF), by Robbie Bravman Marks, October 2006 (A “Closer Look” report). In efforts to help young children aged birth through six prepare to read, Colorado’s libraries are stepping to the fore with new or enhanced early literacy programs and services.
- “Training Jumpstarts Early Literacy Services” (PDF), Fast Facts No. 239 - June 08, 2006. Indicates projected changes in library staff and services, based on ECRR training.
- “Early Literacy Initiative Impacts Public Library Services for Young Children” (PDF), Fast Facts No. 237 - April 20, 2006. A report on actual changes in library staff and services.
Colorado State Library Report "Guiding Social Change through Colorado's Libraries: The Early Literacy Initiative"
- View the summary report of Colorado State Library activities for its Early Literacy Initiative.