The AEFLA grant requires grantees to adhere to certain state and federal policies, participate in major statewide initiatives, and follow grant related timelines. You can find information regarding the most essential grant-related documents and timelines on this page.
Performance accountability measures are used to assess State and program effectiveness in achieving positive outcomes for learners. Based on past performance and continuous improvement requirements, the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE) negotiates with CDE/AEI annually to establish performance accountability targets.
All funded programs report on progress and key data points for the year. The APR is released annually in the fall and collects information on the previous fiscal year.
IEL/CE grants, under section 243 of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, fund programs designed to prepare English language learners (ELLs) for, and place in, unsubsidized employment in in-demand industries and occupations that lead to economic self-sufficiency; and integrate with the local workforce development system and its functions to carry out the activities of the program. IEL/CE activities within these programs provide educational services that enable adults who are ELLs to achieve competency in the English language and acquire the basic and more advanced skills needed to function effectively as parents, workers, and citizens of the United States.
AEFLA Program Year
- At a Glance (PDF) is a planning calendar and month-to-month guide for keeping track of important due dates in the AEFLA grant cycle.
- The Adult Education Initiatives Calendar contains upcoming professional development events--local, regional, state, and national.
AEFLA Critical Dates FY 2016 and 2017
- Continuation Applications for FY17 AEFLA and IEL/CE Grants
- Issued April 15, 2016
- Due to the Office of Adult Education Initiatives on May 16, 2016 by 4:00 pm
- See the AEFLA Continuation web page for more information
- FY2016-17 Assessment Training
- May 2016 Initial Assessment Trainings; registration due April 29, 2016
- See the Assessment Training web page for more information
- FY2016 Final Expenditure Report
- September 30, 2016
- Annual Performance Report (APR) and Data Certification for FY2016
- October 31, 2016
- ABEA Compliance Timeline