Adult Literacy Resources
Selected Full-Text Documents
Adult Education and Family
Literacy Act: Program Year 2002-2003 (2004)
This report describes a grant program (under the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act or AEFLA) that is designed to help adults without a high school diploma or other basic skills to "function effectively in society." It also includes a summary table comparing certain measurements for adult education.
Adult Literacy & the American Dream (2002)
This document from the Council for Advancement of Adult Literacy (CAAL) gives a brief history of adult literacy and how it started.
A Half-Century of Learning: Historical Census Statistics on
Educational Attainment in the United States, 1940-2000 (April 2006)
This report describes the the educational attainment census data in a historical context. Throughout the years the questions asked by the U.S. Census Bureau has changed and this report explains the changes including the variations in data.
Expanding Access to Adult Literacy with Online Distance Education
This document looks at all aspects of online distance education (ODE) and how it can be beneficial to adult literacy.
Family Involvement in Early Multicultural Learning (March 1995)
This digest examines strategies that support children's multicultural learning within a context of family involvement including: parent education and support; school-family curriculum activities, and teacher-parent partnership efforts.
National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL)
Longitudinal Study of Adult Literacy (2000)
This document describes some of the major issues related to purpose, rationale, and methodology that should be considered in designing and carrying out a longitudinal study of adult participants in ABE, ESL, and ASE programs.
Practitioner Toolkit: Working
with Adult English Language Learners (Dec 2004) http://www.cal.org/CAELA/tools/program_development/prac_toolkit.html
This toolkit is designed to support new adult ESL instructors. This document is the result of two surveys done in 2004 and address issues that practitioners face when teaching English as a second language to adults.
Ready for College and Ready for Work: Same or Different? (2006)
This report provides evidence that high school graduates preparedness is similar when going to college or into the workforce. The knowledge and skills needed for either path are comparable and can be acquired through "rigorous" course during high school.
Research Agenda for Adult ESL (1998)
The NCSALL developed a comprehensive national research and development agenda for the improvement of ABE, ESL, and ASE programs. This report combines the literature review with a presentation of the priority issues needed to develop an agenda that will describe the critical questions that need to be answered to improve the effectiveness of these programs.
U.S. Census Bureau
Current Population Survey Educational Attainment Data
Educational attainment data are collected annually in the Current Population Survey (CPS). This page gives links to detailed information from recent surveys and historical trends in selected topics.
U.S. Department of Education
National Center for Education Statistics
- The 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL)
- Adult Literacy and Education in America
- A First Look at the Literacy of America's Adults in the 21st Century http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006470
- Annual Earnings of Young Adults, by Educational Attainment
- Assessing Students with Disabilities and Limited English Proficiency
- Demographic Changes and Literacy Development in a Decade
- Dropout Rates in the United States: 1998
- Highlights from the 2003 International Adult Literacy and Life Skills Survey http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2005117
- Key Concepts and Features of the 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2006471
- Literacy in the Labor Force: Results from the National Adult Literacy Survey
- Literacy of Older Adults in America
- Participation in Adult Education in the United States: 1998-1999
- Programs at Higher Education Institutions for Disadvantaged Pre-college
- Remedial Education in Higher Education Institutions
If you have any questions or comments about this website, please contact us