Professional Development Support for Adult Basic Education Authorization Courses
Professional Development (PD) Support for ABE Authorization courses is provided by the office of AEFL at CDE to support paid instructors who work with AEFLA-reported learners. Recipients must be committed to obtain the authorization, a credential issued by CDE Educator Licensing. The total available amount of PD support for the courses is determined annually through a budgeting process and is dependent upon respective program year priorities. The support for the courses operates on a tuition reimbursement basis and is for approved ABE Authorization courses only. Instructors can receive support for only one course per semester. Funds cannot be used for parking fees, medical insurance, textbooks or other materials.
- Applicants must be listed on the AEFLA-funded adult education program's
ABE Authorization Compliance Status Report to be eligible to receive PD
Support. Applicants can check with the program director to confirm
that they are on the report prior to completing the application.
- Applicants must be paid instructors who are teaching English as a Second Language (ESL), Adult Basic Education (ABE),
Adult Secondary Education (ASE) or family literacy courses at adult education programs in Colorado who receive Workforce Investment
Act (WIA) Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (AEFLA) funding.
- Instructors from AEFLA-funded programs that have outstanding or unresolved grant compliance issues are
ineligible to apply for PD Support for Authorization in ABE Courses.
- Applicants must have regularly scheduled instructional hours each week
during the semester or term with a consistent group of AEFLA-reported learners.
Applicants must be employed a minimum of 90 hours (includes planning,
recordkeeping and instructional hours) at the AEFLA-funded program prior to
submitting an application for PD Support.
- Applicants must submit evidence of a postsecondary degree, e.g. a copy of a diploma,
a professional teaching license, or a transcript verifying a degree. A transcript documenting the
credit hours completed must be submitted in lieu of proof of a degree for applicants who are within 12
credit hours of completing a degree.
- Applicants must submit a maximum 300 word typed statement.
- The application must be signed by the AEFLA program director.
- Applicants must be approved for the
College Opportunity Fund
(COF) and be able to pay 50%-100% of
tuition and fees upon enrollment in the course;
PD support is awarded on a reimbursement
basis and is contingent on the applicant attaining a grade of B or higher.
- Recipients of PD Support for ABE Authorization Courses are required to obtain the authorization within three years of accepting support for the first time. Applicants must be willing to enroll in and complete an online course if that is the only option for fulfilling the course requirements within the three-year timeframe.
First read Tuition Reimbursement information, which explains the tuition reimbursement process. Complete and sign the application and email or fax it to the office of AEFL at CDE with proof of a post-secondary degree or a transcript showing that the applicant is within 12 credit hours of obtaining a degree and the statement explaining why the applicant is in need of the PD support. Email: ABE@cde.state.co.us; Fax: 303-866-6599
- Application - Professional Development Support for Adult Basic Education Courses and Statement PDF | MS Word
- Proof of a post-secondary degree or proof of being within 12 credit hours of a degree
Applications must be received at least 15 business days prior to the day the class is scheduled to begin.
Selection of Recipients
CDE/AEFL staff will evaluate the applications for PD support. Preference will be given to applicants who have only one course to complete. Applicants and AEFLA program directors will be notified about approval of the support via email. Applicants should wait until they receive notification of approval to register for the course.
Applicants who are awarded PD Support for an ABE Authorization Course who are unable to complete the course should contact the college registrar and request an “incomplete” for the course before the college’s deadline. Recipients who drop a course must immediately notify the Office of AEFL at CDE. Failure to notify the office could result in future ineligibility for PD support. The recipient will be billed for the amount of support provided if the course is dropped after the college’s deadline.
Contact: PD Support Coordinator, ABE@cde.state.co.us or 303.866.6884
Go to: < ABE Authorization Handbook | Tuition reimbursement information for scholarship recipients >
Download: EDU Courses Fall 2012 Flyer