Parental Involvement Requirements under Title III of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA):English Learners (EL) requires informing parents of their children's placement in an English language program and how parents can become involved in in their children’s education and be active participants in helping their children learn English and achieve academically. For specific information regarding notification and communication as well as parent involvement and participation, please refer to chapter 8 in the ELD Guidebook. Request Guidebook
To be meaningfully engaged, parents must have information and be empowered to act on it. They must be able to work with school staff to promote student achievement, close the achievement gap and reduce the dropout rate. Therefore, they must be involved in the decision-making processes of the overall educational program. There should be opportunities for parents to be involved in decision at their school and the district levels.
Meaningful parent involvement should meet the following National Standards for Parent/Family Involvement Programs (developed by the National PTA through the National Coalition for Parent Involvement in Education, based on the six types of parent involvement identified by Joyce Epstein from the Center on School, Family and Community Partnerships at John Hopkins University).
- Communication between home and school is regular, two-way and meaningful.
- Parenting skills are promoted and supported.
- Parents play an integral role in assisting student learning.
- Parents are welcome in the school, and their support and assistance are sought.
- Decision-Making and Advocacy: Parents are full partners in the decisions that affect children and families.
- Collaborating with the Community: Community resources are used to strengthen schools, families, and student learning.
- Parents’ Declaration of Rights (English, Spanish)
- Questions Parents Ask About Schools
- A Guide to the Toolkit for Hispanic Parents (English, Spanish)
- Documents for School Enrollment
- Binational Transfer Documents
- Ensuring the Academic Success of our Children (English, Spanish)
- Si Piensas Regresar a Mexíco...Inscribe a tu Hijo en la Escuela
- Strengthening Parent Involvement: A Toolkit