- Outline of the Data Narrative.
- Note catcher to help plan for completing root cause analysis and finalizing the data narrative.
- Activity for identifying which types of data are needed to answer different questions.
- Guidelines for interpreting graphical representations of Equitable Distribution of Teacher data provided on SchoolView.org.
- Directions for accessing Equitable Distribution of Teachers (EDT) and data.
- Directions for accessing TELL Colorado data.
- Overview of the categories that focus school site team reviews.
- List and description of tools available from CDE that schools and districts can use to collect data that would support their root cause analysis.
- Template to use when inventorying data other than student learning/performance data.
- A mental map used to brainstorm explanations within predetermined categories.
- Directions for how to use a Tree/Fish Diagram to brainstorm within categories.
- A thinking map used to brainstorm about a topic.
- Directions for how to use a Circle Map to brainstorm and categorize.
- Factors that influence student performance (as presented by Robert Marzano in various publications).
- A list of criteria to apply to explanations to narrow and refine them.
- A form to use while engaging in the Five Why’s to deepen thinking to get to root causes.
- Thinking Map that describes the process of getting to root causes.
- A form that structures thinking about what data to use to validate root cause explanations.
- Excerpt from the UIP Template; this worksheet is designed to scaffold the data analyses processes used in UIP.
Root Cause Basics: Preuss, P.G. (2003). School Leader’s Guide to Root Cause Analysis: Using data to dissolve problems. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.
Organizing and Integrating: Wellman, B., & Lipton, L. (2004). Data-driven dialogue: A facilitator’s guide collaborative inquiry. Sherman, CT: Mira Via.
Levels of Root Causes: Preuss, P.G. (2003). School Leader’s Guide to Root Cause Analysis: Using data to dissolve problems. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.
Research Based Factors (Marzano): Compiled from various books by Robert Marzano.